Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 01:41 PM

Piriton dosage (may help some of you)

I know I have had trouble finding out what dosage of piriton I should give my dogs in the event of a wasp sting especially in the mouth. So today I asked the vet while there about Shadys cystitis.
These are the doses for my two with thier weights so hopefully you will be able to work out the correct dosage for your dogs. She did say she would be concerned about giving the liquid piriton to a dog stung in the throat that was gasping as it could end up down the airway.

Shady-weight 36.2kg = 1-2 4mg tablets

Milo-weight 6.5kg = half-1 4mg tablet or 60mls liquid

Mean't to add this dosage is safe up to 3 times a day.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks that is handy to know incase I run out of the antihistamine syrup.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Madmare

Thanks for that info.

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
She did say she would be concerned about giving the liquid piriton to a dog stung in the throat that was gasping as it could end up down the airway.
Oh, I brought some of the liquid as someone on here said it may be easier to use than tablets if their mouths swell up. Looks like I'm back off to the chemist to get tablets as well to be on the safe side!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post

Oh, I brought some of the liquid as someone on here said it may be easier to use than tablets if their mouths swell up. Looks like I'm back off to the chemist to get tablets as well to be on the safe side!
I always thought it would be easier too

I was also told that the syrup acts faster than the tablets. So was better in the case of an allergic reaction. Makes you wonder if that is true too.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Shady-weight 36.2kg = 1-2 4mg tablets

Milo-weight 6.5kg = half-1 4mg tablet or 60mls liquid

Mean't to add this dosage is safe up to 3 times a day.
5ml of syrup is the same dose as half a tablet so 1 tablet equals 10ml of syrup.

http://www.piriton.co.uk/Piriton_Syrup.htm
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I have Piriton on standby for Len. Vet told me 10ml is the correct dosage in case he starts to react badly.....
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Interestingly your vet expresses concern, but doesnt offer advice on how to get a tablet down a dog with a swollen throat!
If a dogs throat is closing rapidly it may well die - preferable I would think, to take your chances with the liquid in an emergency!
Actually I dont think, I know, having had the misfortune to have to treat one of my Borders , who when she was 4 months old, stuck her head down a rabbit hole to 'see what the odd noise was'.
We (the vet and I) lost count at 50+ stings, at least 15 of which were in her mouth/throat....and my vet I think would disagree also, as he told me that had she not been treated at home prior to the 10 mile trip to the surgery, she might well have not been with me now
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Surely the vet meant 6ml and not 60ml ? of the syrup as a bottle of syrup contains 150ml so a dosage of 60ml seems too much to me.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2007, 12:45 PM
All I can say about Piritons is, they can be used on a daily basis for skin allergie, and my dog weights 50 kgs, and my vet recently told me to give him 6 a day! That seemed a huuuge amount to me when I'd only been giving him 2 or maybe 3 at a push?

Also, you must only give the ones that make them go drowsy (the cheap ones, not the very expensive ones!) coz the expensive ones are not good for dogs! Don't ask my why, but she told me that too!

They do work for my itchy dog, I certainly notice a difference when I've forgotten to add the Piritons in his food, but thankfully, I've never had to use them for any other purpose, but it's well worth knowing.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Worth mentioning as well that the piriton tablets contain lactose, as do the piriteze tablets, so important for any one or any dog that is lactose intolerant
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >