Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:28 AM

multiple dogs pros and cons

for all of you, who have ever owned more than one dog at once... could you please tell me pros and cons of having them?

as you know another parson will join me and Jack so i want to be as prepared as possilble
thank you
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi there,

As you know I have 13 dogs, there are of course lots of reasons why I have so many but, if I were just to have the 2, or even 3, I think the pros would far outweigh the cons.

You have the extra expense re feeding and vets bills, plus insurance if you insure your dogs. They are the only cons that I can think of, if you are walking one dog it surely can't be any more work taking another along, unless it is really unruly. Its so nice seeing dogs play together in their own home, cuddling up together at nightime, or during the day for a snooze, sharing their toys and basically, being good buddies. Also, if you have to leave the dog at home for any length of time, I always think its nicer that they've got each other for company rather than being alone.

I'm sure others will have better reasons than I have given but, even though I've probably got too many dogs at the moment, (according to my parents!!), I would never, ever go back to just having one dog.

Good luck with your new arrival. x
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:38 AM
aww thanks, i hope they will like achother and be good buddies
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:57 AM
I have 5 setters at the moment - my theory was you have one dog any more won't make a lot of difference! and to some extent this is true - you need to walk one dog so another dog will join this walk!

The dog(s) are company for each other too.

The cons:

You need to make time for each dog - actually I love this time and so do they!

Double training required - separately

Cost of Food increases

Dirt on muddy/wet days - this is probably one of the worst things - 4 are complete muck magnets ! yuk! So the mess increases

BUT I LOVE EM ALL - oh and the space on the sofa is reduced greatly!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I have had two dogs for the last 1.5 years and I would never go back to just having a single dog now.

The cons are very few as far as I am concerned and generally relate to the cost, vet bills, food, insurance etc.

The pros far outweight the cons IME. My dogs love the company of each other, they play together, are best buddies and it is a joy to see them together.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
We have had 3 dogs for the last 3 years or so, prior to that we had 2 dogs for about 7 years, we have only been a one dog household for about a month since we have been together.
I have to say, my 2 old guys have a mutual repsect for each other, but they don't really cuddle up together and can't be left on their own together when we go out as they had a few dominance issues for a while and learnt to fight as soon as they heard the front door shut behind us, it has become a learnt behaviour so they are always separated when we leave them...Each dog is in a different room. This doesn't ever happen and never has when we are actually present in the house...just when they are totally alone. So for us, company when we are out, isn't an issue as they are not left together.
Our old guys have never cuddled up...it's rare they do that, but the pups cuddle up to each of them (whether the old guys like it or not!!!!) Our old guys both sleep in the hall at night, but on their own beds...never together.
Walking more than one dog can be a pain, but can be fantastic. Yes it is more mess, yes, generally shout one and they all come running, but that very much depends on the dog and the situation. They can develop a 'pack' mentality which you need to watch for and be aware of. You also need to be watching 2 dogs all the time, not just one. One of ours runs ahead and is very independant on walks, whereas the other stays close.
It is also more expensive to keep 2, but not double the expense as you can buy in bulk.

Personally, I think it's entirely up to you. Ony you can know what's best for you and your dogs.
As for me????
In all honesty, I love and adore my dogs, but we have decided that in the future, we will be a one dog household, as then that dog will get more attention,we can do more with it on an individual basis etc. Mind you, that means one permanent resident........we may have our annual doggy family member as well......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two and more dogs are good fun and fantastic, I'm sure you'll love it!!!!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
i have 5 and sometimes i find grooming 5 quite hard ....the plus side is they all love each other and play well the down side is cost od feeding and insurance

i couldn't imagine how easy 1 would be now LOL
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I have always been a 2 or 3 dog household, I was a 1 dog household for a while due to Tawney having her stroke, but am now a 2 dog household again. As everybody says as you are walking 1 you may as well walk 2. Mine are company for each other, although I do train separately.
there is obviously an added cost for insurance etc. but it always feels kind of empty and quiet when I am down to 1 dog. It is very hard work to have 2 youngsters though!!!
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

07-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I have two dogs and would say the pro's are seeing them bond and getting on so well. They snuggle up together to sleep and romp and play together when they're awake. The other pro is the two waggy tails greeting you when you get in!!

Cons are the added expense (insurance and food), the 8 muddy paws rather than 4 and the extra poop that needs scooping (and boy it sometimes feels like I've got 4 dogs rather than 2)!!

Another con is me pretty much losing my seat in the house - I now end up with a dog curled up either side of me who is left sitting bolt upright in the middle like this (excuse the state of me)!!

Wouldn't change it for the world though.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
hi there i have 5 dogs here and 3 of them are parson russells and they all get on really well here is a pic for you of them all waiting for there dinner.

they are aged 2yrs old 1 1/2 yrs 2yrs 6mths and 5mthes 3wks.

play time is the best here they love it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >