View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 08:18 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly and he's only been with you three weeks, then I can tell you I used to have the same thing with Dexter. During his first month here, he would quite literally wait until the others went out, and THEN turn into a lunatic

He would tear around the house, destroying everything in his path, like a whirling dervish. The second anyone else came home or arrived, and he was suddenly lying calmly on the sofa again, looking like butter wouldn't melt...!

It often takes MONTHS for a rescue dog to really settle in - far longer than three weeks. Your boy is testing you, pushing the boundaries, to some extent. He may also be bored. Remember that both Rough Collies and JRTs are two very intelligent breeds!

I would advise increasing the training, and make feeding contingent ON his complying with your commands.

The more training you do together, combined with exercise, the more tired he will be!

I used to own a lovely Rough Collie; he needed a HUGE amount of exercise once he was fully grown.....

ALSO - no, he does not know that what he's doing is 'wrong'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The behaviours you are seeing are because he knows you are not happy but he is not aware that he is 'wrong'. This is imposing our moral code onto a dog and will only make you more frustrated as you will then feel that he's doing these things to 'spite' you! I recommend 'THE CULTURE CLASH' by Jean Donaldson, if you haven't already read it. I found this really, really helpful.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
That is one cute dog. I can't get over his little legs when above them he looks so rough collie like.

Do you have a local training class that does obedience and/or agility? It might be worth taking him if you can arrange it around your mum's care. It will tire him out having to use his brain and it will help you bond and see him in a different light. Failing that, step up and vary the training you do with him at home and when out on walks. Hang in there as it's very early days yet and he will be a great dog when he's settled in and got his 'teenage' stage behind him.

As for destoying stuff, just thank goodness you didn't adopt my oldest dog.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...31#post2347731
It's a good job I was expecting it and have a sense of humour.
Lezley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Quite young to leave dog for long periods - I agree try a crate or short periods to start and it may help if dog has had a good walk before you go out and is calm when you leave, take a few mins for him to relax - I have never had this problem and started with very short spells and then gradually got longer. Both of mine do not play whilst I am out they tend to sleep or curl up until I return. Then its play time and rewards for waiting.. They do have a good excersise before I leave..
I leave a Kong toy with peanut butter smeared..
L
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
So he looks like a RC cross JRT ?? Sorry to go OT but the mating between the two is highly unlikely given the huge size difference,
Depends where you live maybe. Friend's Farm JRT got her self knocked up a couple of times by the local collies. Once a trip to the vet, and the 2nd undetected when she'd been mated to a JRT giving a litter of 3 small JRTs and 3 Leggy collie crosses.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by fiwen30 View Post
That's alright, I know it sounds pretty weird! I assume, since he had both brothers, that his previous owner was also his breeder.
Rogan weighs about 15kgs, from the floor to the top of his shoulder is 45cm, from the base of his tail to the tip of his nose is just under a metre, and he is 60cm around the barrel.

I snapped a few pics for you, though it's hard to get an accurate impression of his height -.......................

Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Depends where you live maybe. Friend's Farm JRT got her self knocked up a couple of times by the local collies. Once a trip to the vet, and the 2nd undetected when she'd been mated to a JRT giving a litter of 3 small JRTs and 3 Leggy collie crosses.
My friend has brother & sister BCs she didn't breed them, so assuming that just because someone owns two siblings they bred them is very naive.

Shetland Sheepdogs are far more more popular than RCs not just here in the UK but all over the world.

He looks very young as his front leg bone is still showing a lot of "knuckle", have you been told exactly how old he is ?

By the local Rough Collies ???????? Or by Border Collie/Working sheepdog ? Radically different breeds both in size & population. Did anyone see the matings or again is it just assumption because of the"look"of the puppies ?

Here arephotos of my BCs there will be people who think that they are not the same breed & that 2 are crosses

Below two of the same dog

Now which are related ??
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]

[COLOR="Indigo"]By the local Rough Collies ???????? Or by Border Collie/Working sheepdog ? Radically different breeds both in size & population. Did anyone see the matings or again is it just assumption because of the"look"of the puppies ?
Fair point - That would be the local Borders/ working sheep dogs & the 1st time yes, the 2nd It would definitely have been one of them. Which one is anyone's guess. Both appearence of the pups, and the fact they're the only locals.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 07:02 PM
So he looks like a RC cross JRT ?? Sorry to go OT but the mating between the two is highly unlikely given the huge size difference,
Not really. I remember hearing about a Tibetan Mastiff mating with a Tibetan Terrier female the TM's owner was dog sitting and her having a puppy. That's a huge size difference.

My mum's friend had a border collie x jack russell (he knew both parents). The dog looked exactly like a short coated working sheepdog type collie. Where there's a will there's a way. Obviously, I wouldn't make assumptions that the OP's dog is a RC x JRT even though she looks quite like one as we don't know 100%.
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
My friend has brother & sister BCs she didn't breed them, so assuming that just because someone owns two siblings they bred them is very naive.

Shetland Sheepdogs are far more more popular than RCs not just here in the UK but all over the world.

He looks very young as his front leg bone is still showing a lot of "knuckle", have you been told exactly how old he is ?

I assumed the previous owner could well have been the breeder due to the popular belief on this forum that no respectable breeder would sell same litter siblings to one person, unless they were very experienced. Seeing where these brothers ended up, I'd guess the owner wasn't that sort of man.

Again, his age hasn't been defined although the DT put him at around 9 months.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Nice looking dog.

Just asked OH what cross he reckoned your dog was. His answer: Rough Collie X JRT. I said "Not a Sheltie X JRT?", he thought rough collie more likely.

Ever seen a ridgeback X JRT? The bitch has only gotta lie down
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Size is nothing with a determined male and a helpful bitch

I remember when I was younger there was a male corgie who had been about a bit
Including a litter of corgie GSD puppies

and JRT border collie is a pretty common crossbreed - there are even people breeding them as flybal dogs
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >