Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 12:30 PM

6 month puppy attacking my other dog

Hi guys

Don't know if attacking is the right word.

Django is becoming very aggressive towards Rua on certain occasions. Now this is not all the time and he is not breaking the skin but it lasts about 10 seconds and poor Rua is left quite shaken after.

It started getting worse about a month ago. He is now just 6 months old. He has started growling and actually making contact if she gets too near his food so I separate them at meal times.

They share a puppy pen and have a bed each but if she even touches off her he will snarl bark and mouth her very viciously. I spoke to his breeder and another extremely experienced breeder about this. His breeder said he has always hated being lay on since he was born and the other breeder friend of mine said don't worry about it. He is never vicious in any other way to any other dog out in walks and loves Ivan to death. He said give a Rua a couple of more seasons ( ahe has just turned 18 months and has had 1 season) and she'll tell him to the point where he won't even look at her.

I would be interested to see if anyone has had any similar experiences or what you experienced people make of this

he is so sweet loving and very submissive the rest of the time
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Around 6 months is around the time when they start testing the water, and sooner or later he is going to get put in his place, once Rua is more mature she will put him where he belongs, but at the moment she probably isn't that certain of herself either. He will push her once too often and then it will Armaggedon, you can pull him up sharply when you see him do it, so he does know his actions are unwelcome, but until Rua retaliates big style he'll keep doing it when you're not in the immediate vicinity. I find a sharp HEY!! stops mine in their tracks when they're contemplating Enemy Action, and they know because they give me a sort of guilty look and disappear. I have no doubt it goes on behind my back, they have an established pecking order and I adhere to that at meal times, they queue in the order of feeding and there are never any arguments now the ground rules have been established by themselves.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks so much Tawney wolf. This is more or less what all the others have told me too.

Rua has definitely become a little unsure of herself since her season but I've been told this is normal and to give her time. I went out today and left Rua out of the pen and Django in the pen and everything was fine when I came home so she has now graduated to the freedom of the kitchen when we see out bless her.

Thanks again
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Ah, yes. Reminds me of my puppy days. Nigredo would be aggressive with Jade, but would bark in her face over and over again trying to force her to play with him. She'd turn away but he's give chase and bark in her face over and over again. He'd also nip at her legs.

I was of the mindset that she'd eventually set him straight by herself, but it never happened and as he began to outgrow her... things got far worse. She was running and hiding from him.

My mistake was thinking she'd handle it by herself, she was not of the temperament to do so and she was scared and didn't know what to do. These days, she avoid him, not runs and hides, but just generally avoids him.

Tawney is right, usually a sharp HEY or STOP will do the trick, but when my two lock eyes and puff their chests up and snarling and whatnot goes on, I have to physically step in sometimes.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 05:36 PM
I always intervene and clap my hands and give a very load "oi"

I think it is definitely to do with age and ill just see how it goes.

They are only ever together when I'm around. Other than that they are now separated. Just for Rua's good. They still are in each others company though as Django hates being away from her. Maybe he should be nicer! Little sod. To look at him you'd think butter wouldn't melt!