Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Urgent advice needed please!

Is there ANY way that you can hold TWO accounts with the same bank and have the same account number? i.e. a current account and a gold account, they would have different numbers wouldn't they? Mine do as do both of my parents'.

I know it may sound like a stupid/obvious question but I think a friend has been totally fleeced of over 50k and i'm racking my brains to think if it could be at all possible that we are wrong. He's been shown 2 statements, one with -£500 in and one with over 50k in but the one with the 50k was a dodgy photocopied statement and both statements have the same account number on them.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers. x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:39 AM
As far as I know, Kel, they should definitely have different account numbers. I have three accounts with Barclays, and they all have different account numbers.

Looks very suspect to me, I'm sorry to say
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:43 AM
All my accounts, with the same bank, have different numbers. Unfortunately, it looks a bit dodgy
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:44 AM
All my accounts with the same bank have different numbers. If they had the same number how would the bank know which one to debit or credit if you know what I mean. So I would definately say each account has a different number.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
As far as I know, Kel, they should definitely have different account numbers. I have three accounts with Barclays, and they all have different account numbers.

Looks very suspect to me, I'm sorry to say
I think so too Vicki, i'm practically in tears here. When my pal confronted OH they went to pieces but still maintained they were 2 different accounts just with the same number and I was unaware that was possible, if at all it is?
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-01-2008, 11:45 AM
It is definately dodgy! Each account has to have a unique number, by law I think!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

As far as I am aware it is impossible to have two bank accounts with the same account number and sort code. I am not sure if two different banks (with different sort codes) can use the same account number though? Have you checked the sort code? Who showed him the statements?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Thanx for your replies, Heather that is exactly what I said! Surely you couldn't be over £500 in the red and 50k in credit with the same account number?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
As far as I am aware it is impossible to have two bank accounts with the same account number and sort code. I am not sure if two different banks (with different sort codes) can use the same account number though? Have you checked the sort code? Who showed him the statements?
His OH showed him them as the account (which he thought were joint) are all in her name. The sort codes are also the same as are the banks and even branches.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2008, 11:49 AM
He has called the bank they are with and they have confirmed that this, you cannot possibly have same account numbers, thanx guys.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »