View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2016, 08:48 AM

3 month old ESS off lead for fist time. Advice please!

We're due to take our Springer into fields for the first time tomorrow following his last vaccination (at last!). I'm keen to take him off lead and, armed with a pocket full of high value treats, recalling then releasing regularly. However, my husband wonders if we should have him on a long line so we can stop him running off if he gets out of control. Due to exercise restrictions we won't be out more than 15 minutes.
Does anyone have any comments about the best way to start please? PS we'll be in a safe area ( although the road is 350m across 3 fields! Thanks a lot!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2016, 09:19 AM
What's his recall like at home? I always practice hide and seek at home so have a good idea that they come when called. To be fair young pups tend to stick to you like glue when they first venture out but if worried put a line on him so you can stamp on it should he decide to venture too far. Mine do go off lead as soon as they are allowed out and have never had any issues tbf.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Keep moving so he is watching you all the time, make him worry about keeping near you. Like Trouble says he will stick to you like glue anyway as its all new territory and his instincts will bind him to you, at the moment that is. Don't stand and call him, do it as you are walking away from him with your back to him, sort of casually (even though your heart is beating 10 to the dozen and you don't feel casual)
Before you get to the gate, bring him to you with treats, get him to sit and put the lead on then, so it becomes a routine, and you're not worrying about it going pear shaped at the gate itself.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Whatever you decide to do, don't just clip the lead back on and go home after. Clip the lead on and take it off again several times letting him run free again each time, so he doesn't think lead on-end of fun, and stop coming back to you.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Thank you for all the advice. It all makes perfect sense!
I'll practise all you've said and report back on Tuesday; Hopefully with puppy sitting by my side (albeit chewing the chair leg, but that's another issue lol&#128518.
Many thanks again!
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2016, 10:19 AM
PS His recall is ok at home, although we have had the occasional "sorry l didn't hear you" moment. Then l go back inside alone. Pup is always right by the door as l'm closing it!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Good tactics
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Depending on the weather I'd try to find a park bench or fallen log and do a bit of watching the world go by too rather than worry too much about keeping the walk brief. 5 minutes a month refers to onlead pavement walking rather than exploring on soft ground and there will be lots of new smells to investigate too.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Sitting on a park bench watching the world go by isn't something l've done much of recently. Sounds wonderful! Tomorrow l'll see if l can remember how!
Thanks for that!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-03-2016, 08:27 PM
There's a very small park about 2 minutes walk from me, pretty enclosed, with the tow path running above it. I sit on one of the swings and the puppy runs round, every time it comes to me I give it a piece of chicken and then it runs off again. There are chickens in a pen next door. People are walking along the tow path above us, joggers, bikes, dogs running along, so it gets to see other aspects of life, but they are far enough away for them not to feel threatened. Sometimes children come in and play on the slide or something else, kick a ball around, that sort of thing. On the way home we learn to sit at the kerb and watch cars drive past as well. Only out for about 15 minutes, but I always feel its a very special time and a bonding time all in one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >