Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2016, 09:54 PM

Tips for my oldie...?

Hi,
My Lovely Labrador is 14 this year. She is still amazingly a bouncy, energetic happy girl, however she does get achey occasionally and can slow down.

I was just wandering if anyone has any little tips, advice, remedies etc that they use or have used?

Thanks
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2016, 12:06 AM
I got both of my old dogs a magnetic collar, have bought them for these 2 as well but they are a bit young yet
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2016, 04:40 PM
I also use Bioflow magnetic collars for my oldies and have done for years. Many dogs really benefit from them though I have had odd ones that did not appear to feel any better for wearing one.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Cod liver oil can be good for old dogs' bones
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2016, 03:58 AM
This is brilliant. Gave our wee Boxer her mobility back

https://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/p/14007...-for-dogs-500g
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2016, 10:23 PM
If not at the moment, you may end up going down the route of NSAIDs, but I have had great success with using physiotherapy and acupuncture together. Cartrophen, 4x weekly injections every 3 months have been very effective too.
rileymom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Try Ubavet! My dog had some mobility issues due to arthritis. Ubavet changed his life!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Lintbell's Yumove seems to have lots of fans. A friend, who has been using it for her dog, has now started to take the human version, and is convinced that it makes a real difference.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2016, 05:32 AM
A lot of the fuss behind supplements is glucosamine/chondroitin. It's often added into specially formulated food for seniors, but you can get a supplement as well. It's kind of expensive, but the stuff made for humans is just the same as for dogs, so if you can get it on special, great. JUST BE SURE that if you're getting a liquid or a tasty tablet, it does NOT contain any artificial sweeteners, as all of these are bad for dogs and some-- I'm looking at you, Xylitol-- are downright deadly. I'm honestly not sure if there are any glucosamine chondroitins out there that do contain artificial sweeteners, but, y'know, just check when you're looking out for stuff for your pups.

Oder dogs don't need as many calories, but they often don't really want to eat so much anyway, and a little extra beneficial oils in their diets can be great for them. Tinned oily fish like sardines or pilchards are excellent and a great stinky treat. Try to find ones packed in nice oil or water-- brine tends to be very salty, so avoid that. Older dogs can have the same problems with keeping things regular, too, and may benefit from a little extra fibre. Some nice oatmeal, some lovely steamed barley, a bit of pumpkin or butternut squash, and sweet fruits and vegetables like carrots, parsnips and apples are great treats and excellent for easily adding fibre to an oldie's diet.

The dreaded aches! Even the bounciest oldie will have an off day now and then. The same thing that might set a human's old bones achey are likely to be the same for your dog: cold, wet weather ooks into bones; cold, hard floors cramp tired feet. Take it easier on rainy days. Invest in a jacket, one with a belly flap, if your dog is prone to get chilly, or if they are a little on the skinnier side: lean is good, but the cold gets through quickly. Or of you don't have a jacket, you can wrap your dog up warm in a scarf: middle under the belly, cross over the back, cross again around the chest and pin with a fetching brooch on top behind the neck. A good fluffy acrylic knit scarf is pretty cheap and washable too.

Rest is important. There is no shame in just not wanting to do the full run, especially if it's freezing and awful out. Go ahead and take a slow meander, then kick back. Remember that mental games are often just as much fun as physical ones and it's never too late to play new ones. Don't let it go too long: regular exercise will keep muscles in shape, but you don't have to run a marathon. Gently and often is just what's needed. Try spinning a shorter distance into a longer, more engaged walk. Really check things out. Sniff that weird drain. Find out where those ants are coming from. Visit somewhere just to watch people come and go. You can really enjoy your slower days together. After all this time, you deserve it.