Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nantgwyn
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Clicker Training

Im thinking of trying clicker training with Vinny . Ive read the clicker training sticky in this forum and the idea sounds quite simple and straight forward . What is everybodys opinions on clicker training . From the outside i cant see any negatives from doing it
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Timing is the key to clicker training & I was taught timing as follows:

Away from your dog(s)throw a tennis ball up in the air & clicker as it starts to fall & again as it hits the ground. Once you have mastered this, then you will be able to time you click to the behaviour you want to mark.

Never had a dog that didn't respond to clicker training.

Karen Pryor's site has a multitude of information & the i click is IMHO the best clicker on the market & can be bought in the UK
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Fantastic. I can't see why anyone would train any other way really. Get your timing right, read up on it and away you go. It's fun, far more presice than verbally reinforcing and then treating your dog and dogs get the message quicker. You can shape some very intricate behaviours that would be very hard to do with out a clicker. You can use other things for a bridging stimulus but nothing sounds quite like a clicker. It's amazing when you actually see that lightbulb moment and your dog shows it knows exactly what it was being reinforced for, and then you can put it on cue.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2014, 11:46 PM
I trained all my dogs with clicker training, it's an excellent way to teach dogs and keep them motivated. I use the clicker sparingly with my current dog because she gets overexcited by it (I'd say that's the only downside, but she's the first dog that I've experienced this with).
Who knows, maybe she'll get used to it with time but for now I use it only occasionally and I use a silenced one.

But in general I'd encourage anyone to train with a clicker. Once you got the hang of it, it's the most efficient way to teach new behaviours. Just make sure that your dog also knows how to 'switch off' and be a dog without constantly anticipating your commands
nantgwyn
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2014, 07:42 AM
I.think were going to give this a go. My girlfriend used to work with a lady who.trained people to click with horses so we are going to have a word with her about it. Like i said before i cant see a negative with it
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I wish I'd have known about clicker training when I first got Bailiie but what I know now I wouldn't change. It's very rewarding seeing your dog work and want to work for the clicker. Give it a go. I too was taught how to get the timing right by the tennis ball method that JodeeUK mentioned

dottydiva62
New Member!
Female 

22-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I have a four month old labradoodle puppy and I started clicker training from the very beginning. As others have said timing is crucial but once you have mastered that it is a brilliant way of training and I am a big fan.
travels
New Member!
Female 

23-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Hi, I must admit I did try the clicker training on my new SBT rescue Daisy, but it wasn't the best thing....funnily enough, the clicker I bought has a whistle on the other end so I tried that ( just because it was there!! lol ) and it worked like a dream!!! we have ( fairly) instant recall ( on the lead) as she is dog aggressive at the moment and in training for that we don't know what she is going to be like once she is allowed OFF the lead....but that wont be for a while yet until he fear of other dogs has been conquered....try a whistle, you might be pleasantly surprised!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I am the rare person that actually cannot stand the wretched devices. I was using one on my puppy... but he was drawn the the clicking noise and always jumped up to see what was making that awesome sound.

It does well to get his attention, but he is unable to use it to learn any commands. Instead I used treat based rewards and command training and he responded better without the clicker to distract him.

They are completely annoying, as well. Click, click, click.

"Nigredo sit" *does it* CLICK! *jumps up* "Nigredo sit" *fumbles with device* CLICK! *jumps up* "Nigredo sit" *does it* "Good boy!" *drops device*

Agh, drives me nuts! I will admit that I lacked the patience to truly use the device properly. When used properly and without having a loony dog like mine, they can be very useful.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
"Nigredo sit" *does it* CLICK! *jumps up* "Nigredo sit" *fumbles with device* CLICK! *jumps up* "Nigredo sit" *does it* "Good boy!" *drops device*
I think you might have used it incorrectly. It should be 'Nigredo sit' *does it* CLICK! and immediately a treat, even if he jumps up! You clicked him for sitting down, not for sitting down and then staying sit.
So what he learned is that when you start clicking, there will be treats at some point, hence excitement. But he didn't learn the actual association of click = treat, meaning click = I've done the right thing.
Whatever the dog does after you've clicked, you HAVE TO give him a treat. By not giving him a treat and making him sit again, you've taken away the whole meaning of the clicker.
Once he learns that click = treat, you can start shaping his behaviour properly. So if you want him to sit down and wait, you wait with the click (gradually longer etc.) but you always give a treat after the click. You can't click and then give him the command again after he's done it without giving him a treat first because that's not how it works and it'll just confuse him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >