Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-09-2011, 10:07 PM

How to get SKY TV half price for a year

Well this is what I did:

Phoned them and said I wanted to cancel it - because I just don't watch it anymore (kept broadband and phone line tho). Ignored their offer of having it half price for 6 months. That was a few weeks ago, got a letter today offering me 12 months at half price!

Not gonna bother though, don't watch TV anymore and if I do I just use iPlayer.

Btw - cancelling SKY TV doesn't affect your free channels - so you still get them.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that Azz, wish I could cancel ours, I don't even watch TV.Thats the Oh's forte I only watch motogp & gran prix...both of which I can get on iplayer anyways.

He'd keel over if I even mentioned cancelling it , may try 7 be sneaky when hes at work & see if I get offered half price too
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Let me know how you get on
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 01:24 AM
I'd miss the syf channel too much
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 07:11 AM
My friend did this and they did cancel his Sky!!!! I am guessing it depends on who you get on the end of the phone.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 07:49 AM
I fork out nearly £78 a month for Sky, but it keeps Bazzo happy and that's worth so much more......

dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Think it depends who you get - we cancelled Virgin when we moved (their phone staff had driven me nuts for years and since we moved to a non-rented house we could have a Sky dish up without having to beg to landlords). Nearly a year later Virgin still bombard me with increasingly hysterical offers begging me to come back - if I did I could get a nice cheap deal from them.

We pay a LOT for Sky - it's probably one of our biggest monthly outgoings - but since we don't go out a lot, and we use it a lot (well Sky+ - I couldn't go back to life without that) I don't really begrudge the money.... although after hour number 5 of weekend football I do tend to contemplate cancelling the sports channels on a lot of occasions.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
It's crazy expensive isn't it!? My dad pays over £100 a month I think - they have everything, sports/movies etc and they don't even watch it half of the time.

Anyway here's the letter they sent me in case anyone wants to have a look:

I'm happy with the free channels - I hardly ever watch the TV now, get the news on the BBC site and any programs via iPlayer. Movies are always Blu Ray as Blu Ray is significantly better quality than Sky HD (which is a bit pants really).
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
So did you actually cancel, and did they switch it off straight away?

See I am looking at mine and thinking expensive however have multiroom and given how much I can spend on one night out I figure its value. But not sure about not reducing what I have package wise. May ring and haggle, worst that happens I can always say i can think about it.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:09 PM
My friend works for sky and he said they to get any offers the person on the phone actually has to say that they plan on cancelling.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >