Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Gracie killed my rabbits

OH came home on Thursday and usually all the dogs run to greet him. This time, Gracie was missing. He looked round and called her but nothing. When he went into the garden, he saw her in our large rabbit/guinea pig run. He rushed over and was devastated to find both rabbits dead. Gracie was stuck in there and didn't seem to be able to jump back out. In the four months we've had her, she's never tried to jump in there. The only time We've seen her really jump is when she sees a cat. We think that maybe a cat was in the run or sleeping on top of one of the hutches (we've caught them there before) and that adrenalin rush gave her the boost to clear the fence. The fence is nearly 5ft tall and the rabbits were in their hutch which has slide bolts on all four doors. It looks like she managed to chew away and loosen the wood between two of the doors. (which we've now seen is rotten inside) and that has dropped down and caused the bolts to pop open. My poor buns, I'm still crying and cant get the thought of how terrified they must have been. There was no damage to them, so I assume a quick shake was all it took. I feel I've failed them. They were both rescues and I've tried to do everything right for them. I hope they didn't suffer too much. So rest in peace Twix and Cookie. I'm so sorry. xxx
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Bless I'm sorry to read this

Can't fright kill bunnies? so they may have been "lucky" and died from shock instead of injury (I don't mean to use the word lucky, sorry, but can't think of another word for it)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with Jesterjenn, it could have been the shock that killed them rather than physical damage from Gracie. So sorry.x
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I am so sorry its a fur-mums worst nightmare when the ones we love kill another. *hugs*
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Bless I'm sorry to read this

Can't fright kill bunnies? so they may have been "lucky" and died from shock instead of injury (I don't mean to use the word lucky, sorry, but can't think of another word for it)
I hope so in a strange sort of way. If the fear killed them before she managed to get to them, would explain why there was no damage to them, just damp from saliva.
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with Jesterjenn, it could have been the shock that killed them rather than physical damage from Gracie. So sorry.x
Thank you. I just hope it was quick.

Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
I am so sorry its a fur-mums worst nightmare when the ones we love kill another. *hugs*
Thank you. That's exactly how I feel.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, Gerri. xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:45 PM
What a terrible thing to happen, this is why I could never have bunnies or any other small furries!

When my dogs have caught wild rabbits, I find they do die very quickly. There is never any outward signs of damage to them but i'm sure there has been internal injuries, and the fright factor gets them as well.

I know it's no consolation but i'm sure they would've died very quickly.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:46 PM
So sorry for your losses. I too hope it was shock too
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 06:01 PM
So sorry to hear this - your bunnies would have gone into shock so I'm sure would not have felt anything. Rabbits die very easily from shock.

I've had it happen a few years ago. Not nice. x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I am so sorry about Twix and Cookie - so upsetting for you. I agree with others - they probably died very very quickly. Lots of hugs xxx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »