View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spadger87
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2010, 03:32 PM

Can under shot jaw cause problems for breeding?

Hi all i have recently bought a new baby lhasa apso to add to my family , i have just found out yesterday that she has a slight under shot jaw, its not major but the vet said this may cause her to have some of her teeth removed , i am wanting to breed her and i am worried this may cause problems for the pups, has anyone got any advice on whether or not i should breed her. She is full kc registered and i got her 5 generation pedigree certificate, and there is defintely no interbreeding or anything, could this be inherited or could it just be a problem with just my pup that wont pass down to her pups. Thanks hope you all have some good advice. Hannah. xxxx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I would wait to see how she develops....but I do think it is a hereditary thing.

You would be looking 2 1/2 - 3 years down the line for breeding anyways...so lots can happen in that time.

My advice would be to wait and see and enjoy your pup
If she is not suitable for breeding you will still have a fab little dog
spadger87
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks alot, i was going to wait till her 3rd 4th season to breed anyway, i just hope it does not get worse, Thanks alot. xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi Hannah have you informed the breeder?
I would certainly do so.

Malformations and misalignments of the jaw can lead to problems like tooth decay and early loss of teeth.

I think people should only breed from any dog on the understanding that they will improve the breed or at the very least do no harm to the breed . There is thought to be a hereditary factor to jaw problems and dogs with these conditions should not be bred from .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

22-09-2010, 06:03 PM
I think , if I am not mistaken shouldn't Lhasa apso have a slight under bite, the breed standard calls for the upper teeth to sit slightly behind the lower.

Lhasa apso are not meant to have a scissor bite!!

Are you sure your vet is not mistaking this for an undershot jaw.

Vets are not always up on certain breeds anatomy, I remember a friend of mine , her vet telling her that her young Boxer was going to need to be operated on, due to his undershot jaw!!

I would speak to your breeder first and ask her to look at your pup, just to make sure pup has correct conformation, but if puppy have a true undershot jaw, then breeding from her is a no no,

But I would make sure before you panic, that its one or the other!
spadger87
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2010, 06:12 PM
hi thanks for your advice, its funny you said that about the vet as previous from when i took her yesterday, a different vet practice never even mentioned the jaw having any problems, i will try not to worry a great deal till she gets bigger and see how her jaw grows, i read up that the lower jaw is the last part of the body to stop growing so im crossing my finger that it will be ok.

Its dreadful to think vets dont know much about certain breeds especially about the poor boxer, i take it the boxer did not get operated on. i hope so x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

22-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by spadger87 View Post
hi thanks for your advice, its funny you said that about the vet as previous from when i took her yesterday, a different vet practice never even mentioned the jaw having any problems, i will try not to worry a great deal till she gets bigger and see how her jaw grows, i read up that the lower jaw is the last part of the body to stop growing so im crossing my finger that it will be ok.

Its dreadful to think vets dont know much about certain breeds especially about the poor boxer, i take it the boxer did not get operated on. i hope so :-) x
Nope, she went back to the vets armed with the breed standard to educate the vet.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 09:32 PM
If your pup does have an incorrect bite I personally wouldnt breed from her, Like others I only think a mating should take place with the aim of bettering the breed, the incorrect bite can genetically be passed down to the off spring, or even miss a generation and come out in the offsprings pups! You wouldnt be able to show a dog with an incorrect bite therefor (imo) doesnt make the dog a good example of the breed, worthy of breeding from.
blkntanbull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by spadger87 View Post
Hi all i have recently bought a new baby lhasa apso to add to my family , i have just found out yesterday that she has a slight under shot jaw, its not major but the vet said this may cause her to have some of her teeth removed , i am wanting to breed her and i am worried this may cause problems for the pups, has anyone got any advice on whether or not i should breed her. She is full kc registered and i got her 5 generation pedigree certificate, and there is defintely no interbreeding or anything, could this be inherited or could it just be a problem with just my pup that wont pass down to her pups. Thanks hope you all have some good advice. Hannah. xxxx
surely as the breed standard calls for a reverse scissor bite,then an undershot jaw at this age is far preferable than say, an overshot or level bite? i wouldnt worry as she has ages to grow and change until what her bite will end up like.having 4 dogs where the standard calls for slightly undershot,all mine from as early as i can remember have had undershot bites.surley if you were going with a view to buying a (potential)foundation bitch,you'd not only know the breed standard,so you'd have an idea of what you are looking for, but you'd also check the bite before purchasing too?
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Nope, she went back to the vets armed with the breed standard to educate the vet.

The vet simply pointed out a deformity that could impact on the dog's long term health .... whether it's 'true to standard' or not, it's a deformity.

I guess that most people wouldn't be too upset to hear that their dog who is an excellent example of their breed is actually deformed and will have associated health problems, but when I am qualified I will continue to inform people (my clients included) of the risks associated with certain anatomical traits.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >