Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Would you report an illegal dog breed?

Just a pondering really but if you knew someone had an illegal dog breed (ie a dog banned under the DDA) would you report them?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Depends,if the dog was looked after,loved and cared for and not showing any dangerous behaviour then no I wouldn't.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Agree with Sal, if a nice wll behaved dog then no. If a status dog being used to scare people then yes.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 11:59 AM
No I wouldn't. I'd feel guilty if that dog was then PTS.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Depends,if the dog was looked after,loved and cared for and not showing any dangerous behaviour then no I wouldn't.
I agree. If the dog started playing up and the owners couldn't cope I'd offer to help rehome the dog but onyl to someone I knew could deal with that specific breed.

If said dog was aggressive or out of control, then I may do if I felt that others were at risk.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2010, 12:01 PM
If its a harmless happy pet then no .. If it was someone breeding or keeping fighting dogs then most prob's yes ..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree with Sal.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:22 PM
i have to agree with everyone else. i dont think i could sleep at night knowing i got some poor dog put to sleep
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:22 PM
If it's not being kept under control, to the point where other dogs/people are being put at risk, I would report it, same as a non-banned breed. Yes, the dog may end up PTS which is a great shame but there are worse things than euthanasia and I'd hate to think my silence had led to a dog being used for dog fighting or that another dog or a person had got injured because I hadn't reported it.
Sometimes it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick with a quick glance at a situation though so I'd want to be sure of what I'd seen. I remember when I worked in a petshop, a young lad came in with a lovely Staffie, he'd taken it off some travellers who'd threatened to dump it. One of the first things he did was go to buy it a collar to replace the rope it had come with, and asked where our studded collars were, so we thought, oh, here we go, status dog alert..turns out he'd apparently been told that it was the law that Staffies needed to wear studded collars and all he was guilty of was being a bit gullible We got the Staffie fitted with a nice secure collar (non-studded!) and comfy harness, and told him all about food - he ended up getting it NatureDiet as he wanted to feed it the best he could, and promised to keep us updated. I didn't stay at that petshop much longer but he definately seemed like a genuine bloke, who could've so easily been misjudged walking down the road with his Staffie all 'blinged' up with a studded collar.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I agree with Sal too
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >