View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 12:52 PM

I've just been told off at the vets by the nurse!

Poor Ollie cut his paw yesterday evening, taking a chunk of flesh off one of his toes exposing the nail bed. So it was off to the vet this morning to have the flap of skin trimmed off under sedation and a big bandage applied. Before I left him I was asked all about his diet which is JWB (which bores him silly, as does all kibble) and various other stuff such as fresh mackerel, chicken wings, minced tripe or tinned Chappie or Tripe (all of which he loves). I have been told sternly that a dry diet it adequate and better for his teeth and to cut out the wet stuff.

Hmmmn! But that would be sooooooooooo boring, he just won't eat it and then loses weight! Well Ollie says he would rather have a tiny bit tartar on his teeth than eat dry kibble, and if necesary could Mum please use the toothbrush on him a bit more often.
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2010, 12:58 PM
We too would be bored as well on the same diet constantly, people need to remember that whilst they are dogs they enjoy food too. Rambo won't eat plain kibble for days on end so he has 'wet stuff' mixed into it too.

As you said if you keep on top of his teeth with a brush or other dental care then there is no need to worry.

Let them enjoy their food I say!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I had an almost identical conversation with my vet nurse about 3 years ago over our old dog kip.

But as she was telling me off, the vet came out behind her and gave a shake of his head and a roll of his eyes. When we went into the consultation room he said 'don't take any notice, feed him whatever he does well on'.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Mealtimes should be a big event to be enjoyed. If I serve up a bowl of dry kibble he just walks away to see what the other boys have got.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I can understand them saying "kibble only" for people who just feed their dogs junk all the time but as long as you are feeding sensible foods in sensible quantities then whats the problem?

As long as the dog is healthy then I'm sure they will be happier with a few treats! Toby isn't allowed any extras at the moment and he's finding it very boring!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:04 PM
i must be very lucky, none of the nurses would dare, and the vet thinks mine look great on Raw, feed em what they enjoy is my moto unless its bad for them
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I had an almost identical conversation with my vet nurse about 3 years ago over our old dog kip.

But as she was telling me off, the vet came out behind her and gave a shake of his head and a roll of his eyes. When we went into the consultation room he said 'don't take any notice, feed him whatever he does well on'.
That sounds like excellent advice!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
I can understand them saying "kibble only" for people who just feed their dogs junk all the time but as long as you are feeding sensible foods in sensible quantities then whats the problem?

As long as the dog is healthy then I'm sure they will be happier with a few treats! Toby isn't allowed any extras at the moment and he's finding it very boring!
They all had a mackerel for tea yesterday, I know what I'd prefer! I'd have said mackerel was actually very good for them.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:08 PM
When I used to feed mine raw, I didn't DARE mention it to the vets as I knew I would get an earful.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
i must be very lucky, none of the nurses would dare, and the vet thinks mine look great on Raw, feed em what they enjoy is my moto unless its bad for them
I have been feeding more wet food than usual to keep weight on Oska, who turns into a toast rack very quickly if I'm not careful. But they love it!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »