View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Who, What, Why: Is it dangerous for dogs to fetch sticks?

Can serve as a useful reference

The president of the British Veterinary Association has warned dog owners they could cause their pets "horrific injuries" if they play fetch with sticks. But just how dangerous is it, asks Claire Bates.

Dog owners who enjoy throwing sticks for their pet in the park have been told to stop. Vets are concerned that this simple pastime can cause painful injuries ranging from tongue splinters to the piercing of vital organs.

Sean Wensley, president of the British Veterinary Association, insists throwing sticks could be "potentially life-threatening". "We don't want people to stop owners from playing and exercising with their dogs. We just want them to know they can protect their pets by using safe dog toys."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35361664
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Not something I have ever done or am ever likely to do either.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Neither of mine are interested in retrieving either sticks or balls, although Gwylim's rather partial to carrying ladies underwear in his mouth which he'll drop in the middle of the driveway and leave for me to retrieve!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Beautiful little border collie. Playing in the garden with another dog, picked up the stick and ran with it colliding with the garage wall. Poppy died later that day as the vet couldn't save her.

Another dog that used to come to classes. Owner threw the stick with landed stuck upright at an angle. The dog ran to pick up and misjudged. The stick went through the roof of the mouth. Many months and much money later the dog functioned, but suffered infections the rest of his life.

No matter how many warnings are given, owners still throw sticks often with disastrous consequences
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2016, 05:44 PM
My old boy Max would run along and pick up sticks as he went.I never taught him and never threw them he just loved to pick things up...
One morning I saw him running in the field as normal and then he came walking over to me all quiet. He didnt whine or peep.
We walked home and I wondered what had caused his sudden disinterest but didnt worry.

A little while later I had to go out and when I returned home I found Max slumped semi-consious behind the front door.
I managed to push my way in phone the vet and single handedly man handle 70kg dog into a mini..

The vet found a wound in the soft part of his mouth under his tongue partly severing it, he had been bleeding into his mouth all morning. Had I been out any longer he might not have got to the vet in time ...As it was he made a full recovery but he never ever tried to pick up a stick again.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	max snow 001.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	4834  
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Beautiful little border collie. Playing in the garden with another dog, picked up the stick and ran with it colliding with the garage wall. Poppy died later that day as the vet couldn't save her.

Another dog that used to come to classes. Owner threw the stick with landed stuck upright at an angle. The dog ran to pick up and misjudged. The stick went through the roof of the mouth. Many months and much money later the dog functioned, but suffered infections the rest of his life.

No matter how many warnings are given, owners still throw sticks often with disastrous consequences
Terrible reminders of how bad sticks can be - thanks for sharing Chris!

Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
My old boy Max would run along and pick up sticks as he went.I never taught him and never threw them he just loved to pick things up...
One morning I saw him running in the field as normal and then he came walking over to me all quiet. He didnt whine or peep.
We walked home and I wondered what had caused his sudden disinterest but didnt worry.

A little while later I had to go out and when I returned home I found Max slumped semi-consious behind the front door.
I managed to push my way in phone the vet and single handedly man handle 70kg dog into a mini..

The vet found a wound in the soft part of his mouth under his tongue partly severing it, he had been bleeding into his mouth all morning. Had I been out any longer he might not have got to the vet in time ...As it was he made a full recovery but he never ever tried to pick up a stick again.
Aww poor Max, so pleased to read he was ok and thanks for sharing - hopefully it will help others see why sticks and dogs are not a good idea.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2016, 06:27 PM
What horrible stories Chris and Dorrit I have heard many before and seen the results in the vets and on here where a number of members over the years have had dogs with horrible stick injuries.

Chloe will pick up sticks and run off with them if given the chance but I quickly remove them.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Been posting warning about this for years on various forums, FB etc. but of course many folk never read those or if they do, often think they know better and it won't happen to them.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Don't chuck sticks for mine, my old 2 used to like sticks so i bought those fake rubber ones instead..easy enough to pick it up with the lead on you way out and you know that your dog won't have a mishap with it......this pair, chuckit balls, airkong squeaky balls and zoink torpedos are the order of the day..oh and a tennis ball on rope, my coat pocket always has at least 3 toys in there Lol
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-01-2016, 11:27 PM
I learned this lesson in the mid 1970s

I was just a young kid and me and a friend (neighbour) were throwing a stick back and forth over the dividing hedge to one another.

Our family dog at the time (a 57 variety called Tip) was in our garden and he caught it.

Unfortunately it went straight down his throat sharp end first and stuck right in.

Fortunately he got through it but I'll always remember his howls.

My dogs are fast and I can throw a long way but the thought of a stick 'sticking' in the grass resulting in a spear which the dog then runs onto (be it mouth or chest) doesn't bear thinking about.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >