Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sunshi500
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2016, 03:55 AM

Early AM vomiting and protein loss

My 4 year old Catahoula mix has been having early morning vomitting bile for the last month almost. We've done xrays, stool and urine tests, bile acids test, all normal. The only abnormal test was the blood test showed low albumin (1. and low total protein. The vet thinks it may be protein loss enteropathy but the underlying condition is a mystery still. On Monday she started her on sucralfate , dewormer and a gastroentric food. She wants to retest blood levels in another week, and if protein is still low, next step would be ultrasound. We had some success doing pepcid at night, but the generoc version either didnt work, or stopped working, because she vomited this morning bile a couple times and frantically wanted to go out and eat grass. Anyone experience this or know what it could be? I think we'll demand an ultrasound either way because its not normal...should we go in sooner...or give the sucralfate time to work? We're terrified for our little fur angel?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2016, 09:21 AM
I thought it was quite common for dogs to puke bile in the early morning. What time is your dog fed? You could try giving a small meal/snack before bed and then they won't have an empty stomach all night.
Meg
Supervisor

22-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Hello Amanda I can not comment on your dog's specific condition but I can tell you about my dog who has a vomiting problem.
My dog Chloe vomits bile when her tummy is empty for any length of time particularly in the early morning thought it can happen any time her tummy is empty for a long period.

She has done this since she was about a year old . My vet was not concerned because she is fit and well in every way. He just said it could be reflux and he didn't think it was worth doing any tests when there were so few symptoms.
I did some research myself and decided she could have BVS...
https://www.vetinfo.com/bilious-vomi...e-in-dogs.html

I manage her condition by feeding three small meals a day the last one as late as possible usually around 11pm.

We still have occasional vomiting. Chloe in now 8yo and sleeps in my bedroom, she is always sick in the kitchen never anywhere else in the house and will wake up and run down to the kitchen if she is going to be ill. She is fine after vomiting bile and will eat immediately afterwards.

Chloe seems to know when she needs to eat and has not left it too late and she will wake me around 6am sometimes later by making growling noises by the side of the bed then I go down and feed her and she then returns to bed
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-01-2016, 12:48 PM
One thing I would suggest is a stool test for Helicobacter Pylori - a very common bug that can effect gall-bladder function. You might want to get yourself tested as well - if your dog has it you will probably have it too. (It is also a class 1 carcinogen.)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Rosie had massive problems during her first 18 months. Terrible tummy aches, vomiting, loose sometimes bloody stools, anal gland problems - the works.

We did an elimination diet and found a food she could tolerate easily and we feed four times a day. This has worked well for her, but, of course, your little one may have something totally different.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2016, 04:32 PM
This is quite common and usually seems to be 'empty tummy syndrome'. Often cured by feeding a couple of biscuits/handful of kibble or something similar last thing at night.
Sunshi500
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2016, 08:01 PM
She was eating at 6am and 6pm. When this started again, we split dinner to 5pm and 10pm. She still vomitted, so we added in the pepcid and did blood tests. The most concerning thing to me is the protein loss in her blood.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Is your dog losing weight or have the squits?
Sunshi500
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2016, 09:12 PM
She hasn't lost weight...in fact, she has gained 4lbs since August since I broke my foot and couldn't walk her daily like we always did. Her poo would be a little soft from time to time...and we did have anal gland issues in the past with her. Now on the gastroentric food for the last few days, she does have a little diarrhea but I think thats due to the rapid food change and adjusting to it?

I'm wondering if the protein level test was just a fluke? The lowest it ahould be at was 2.5 and she was at 1.8 which puts her at risk for leaking fluids internally.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Well hopefully it's not Protein losing Enteropathy as after reading up on that the first sign is usually weight loss.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >