Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aoifeturner
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
This was the culmination of it being a right pest and already being barked at to go away by one of my other dogs - while the owner did absolutely nothing. It didn't come up to my dog for a sniff, it leaped out of some bushes and landed in front of his nose which he decided was scary enough to warrant defending himself.
Ok well i don't know what happened with your dog, and im not going to sit here saying every dog attack is un warranted but with the correct legislation mistakes can be stopped in blaming the wrong dog.

Anyway, if you dont agree dont sign my petition but im not going to sit and argue everyones individual cases. I am not making the laws of this petition im putting the idea forward to parliament, i do understand its not a clear cut issue.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Nope not signing - too much leeway for people to have utter pests of dogs and then to turn around and cry foul when another dog finally loses its patience. Too much leverage for the "he only wants to say hello" brigade - which WILL be what happens.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by aoifeturner View Post
Ok well i don't know what happened with your dog, and im not going to sit here saying every dog attack is un warranted but with the correct legislation mistakes can be stopped in blaming the wrong dog.

anyway, if you dont agree dont sign my petition but im not going to sit and argue everyones individual cases. I am not making the laws of this petition im putting the idea forward to parliament, i do understand its not a clear cut issue.
thats exactly what you should be considering though because the problem with legislation is a lot of it gets passed with little consultation and its not until its in motion when you realise how much it just does not work.... DDA is the perfect example of this..
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Something needs to be done about dog on dog attacks, I get fed up with worrying about aggressive dogs when I am out with mine. I don't think doing nothing is the answer either.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by aoifeturner

And in response to your message, i agree with you that your dog should be able defend its space, but if you know that it could attack a friendly dog for coming and having a sniff and your leaving it to do what it wants because you think it should defend its space?
If my dog got intimidated by a dog it would bark first not bite
I think this post shows why "your law" is flawed.

You think a friendly dog should be able to go up to another dog and if the other dog attacks it, then the attacker is the one that should be PTS...

How do you know that the friendly dog is friendly with every dog he meets, or the attacker is not intimidated by the friendly dog, and the attack is in defence.

As others have said, to many innocent dogs could be PTS, or labelled aggressive because their owners have no real idea on canine communication/behaviour.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Nope not signing - too much leeway for people to have utter pests of dogs and then to turn around and cry foul when another dog finally loses its patience. Too much leverage for the "he only wants to say hello" brigade - which WILL be what happens.
Agree...............
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Completely agree. I don't want my dogs life to hang in the balance because other people can't or won't control theirs. My aggressive dog was leashed, muzzled and only walked in on leash areas or at really anti social times like 2am. Yet it was always me and him who got the blame when he had a go at someones out of control dog that ran up to him.

Something needs to be done about out of control dogs in general but the question is what. Whatever legislation is brought in it's only going to be the responsible people who follow it. Those who don't give a sh*t will continue to not give a sh*t.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 02:23 PM
I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your border terrier - it must have been very frightening to witness and also very traumatising.

However, I am sorry but I won't be signing your petition, as there are far too many scenarios where a Law such as this could go horribly wrong, with many innocent dogs being destroyed. It is also one step closer to all dogs being on lead and/or muzzled in public places and I am very much against that.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your border terrier - it must have been very frightening to witness and also very traumatising.

However, I am sorry but I won't be signing your petition, as there are far too many scenarios where a Law such as this could go horribly wrong, with many innocent dogs being destroyed. It is also one step closer to all dogs being on lead and/or muzzled in public places and I am very much against that.
Ditto.

Not all dog on attacks are black and white, and a lot of dogs and their owners could end up in trouble for something that wasn't their fault. Unfortunately as has been seen with the current DDA, such laws tend to be inflexible affairs that see the innocent go down with the guilty.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Not all dog on attacks are black and white, and a lot of dogs and their owners could end up in trouble for something that wasn't their fault. Unfortunately as has been seen with the current DDA, such laws tend to be inflexible affairs that see the innocent go down with the guilty.
Absolutely. Sorry, not signing.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2