Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aoifeturner
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Dog on Dog Attacks

Hey guys please take a minute to read this

Recently my little border terrier puppy got attacked by an american bulldog, he lived fortunatly but on contact to the police there was nothing to be done becauase it was dog on dog ...
To cut a long story short, the dog has now attacked two others and killed another dog and the dog wardens are only starting to take action, and the police are still not interested.

I have set up a petition and 100,000 signatures and it will be discussed within parliament, this issue is so close to being passed anyway, with support of the public we can ensure it is! please sign this it takes two seconds!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39328

Thank you so much if you do !!
!

Aoife xxxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:06 AM
unfortunately i dont think this is the answer... whats to stop the same idiot with the american bulldog when he loses his dog because it gets PTS for begin dangerous from going right out and getting another dog and then training it to do exactly the same thing..

The problem is the other end of the lead and until legislation bringing owners into account aswell as the dogs then nothing will change.. I am glad to hear your dog recovered and sad to hear the others were killed but unfortunately by making dog on dog attacks illegal will also open a whole can of worms as certain "attacks" can actually just be dogs playing roughly and i would hate to see dogs getting PTS because someone decided to use the law wrongly.
aoifeturner
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I agree with what you are saying however i think this comes to an assessment of the attack, surely by making it illegal in this case a dogs life would have been spared and other injuries avoided.

This is happening all over the country where owners are letting it happen more than once and simply because nothing has been done to stop them. Maybe if this law comes in owners will be more aware action will be taken against them and their dogs, and will maybe keep the dog on their lead and have a muzzle if the owners know it is capable of attacking other dogs.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
unfortunately i dont think this is the answer... whats to stop the same idiot with the american bulldog when he loses his dog because it gets PTS for begin dangerous from going right out and getting another dog and then training it to do exactly the same thing..

The problem is the other end of the lead and until legislation bringing owners into account aswell as the dogs then nothing will change.. I am glad to hear your dog recovered and sad to hear the others were killed but unfortunately by making dog on dog attacks illegal will also open a whole can of worms as certain "attacks" can actually just be dogs playing roughly and i would hate to see dogs getting PTS because someone decided to use the law wrongly.
I agree - and it's a very fine line between a dog defending itself and instigating an attack. One of my dogs can't cope with strange dogs in his face and when a young spaniel leaped out of the bushes in front of his nose, he told it to 'go away' in the only way he knows. Would you count that? Someone might and my poor wussy boy could be penalised for protecting his space.
aoifeturner
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:23 AM
As said before i wont be making the legislation and correct legislation will be put in place to assess attacks with both dogs and owners in mind.

And in response to your message, i agree with you that your dog should be able defend its space, but if you know that it could attack a friendly dog for coming and having a sniff and your leaving it to do what it wants because you think it should defend its space?
If my dog got intimidated by a dog it would bark first not bite
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I agree - and it's a very fine line between a dog defending itself and instigating an attack. One of my dogs can't cope with strange dogs in his face and when a young spaniel leaped out of the bushes in front of his nose, he told it to 'go away' in the only way he knows. Would you count that? Someone might and my poor wussy boy could be penalised for protecting his space.
That is always my fear with legislation like that - who is to blaime?
In the OP's case of course it is clear and a very sad story - I totaly agree something should be done
But I also see so many owners who have no idea what an attack is and what play is - I have watched people screaming running in to grab their dog when dogs are only playing
I have also had a guy tell a whole croud of people how my Mia has issues and is aggressive - when HIS offlead dog charged up to my onlead dog, Both dogs started playing - I asked him to get his dog back as it was not fair that my dog was trapped by a lead
His dog (a GSD against a 10Kg cross) landed ontop of her and squished her - she couldnt get away cos onlead so a fight broke out - I was left holding both dogs appart as everyone talked about how aggressive my dog was

I fear if the legislations were changed then my dog would be open to be put to sleep because of other fools who cant control their dogs
aoifeturner
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:29 AM
As you know then your dog was on lead and his dog was off lead and in todays laws, something can be done about that already if you put in a complaint.
If you have control of your dog then no one can do anything
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by aoifeturner View Post
I agree with what you are saying however i think this comes to an assessment of the attack, surely by making it illegal in this case a dogs life would have been spared and other injuries avoided.

This is happening all over the country where owners are letting it happen more than once and simply because nothing has been done to stop them. Maybe if this law comes in owners will be more aware action will be taken against them and their dogs, and will maybe keep the dog on their lead and have a muzzle if the owners know it is capable of attacking other dogs.
but thats not what will happen - dogs will get PTS because they are owned by idiots who dont control them and the only thing that will change is more dogs will be held in kennels being assessed as part of criminal proceedings with regard to dog on dog attacks..

I just cannot see this working..
aoifeturner
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
but thats not what will happen - dogs will get PTS because they are owned by idiots who dont control them and the only thing that will change is more dogs will be held in kennels being assessed as part of criminal proceedings with regard to dog on dog attacks..

I just cannot see this working..

I completely understand its not an easy issue, but dogs need to be kept under control. The owners of the dog who attacked my 1 year old border terrier puppy tried to defend their case by saying my dog scared it and thats why it charged 10metres at it and attacked it. Now really how was a 1 year old puppy minding his own business going to scare a fully grown american bulldog.

Excuses are going to be made, but if you cant control your dog action should be taken.
In my sub-form of my petition i had to state ideas for legislation and i said initially fines for owners then warnings where owners have to put it in a muzzle then putting it to sleep.

I never wanted to see or hear about this happening again, i was traumatized after seeing my puppy being thrown around like a rag doll to then hear from the dog wardens its killed another dog and injured two other AFTER my dog? please dont try and tell me that that dog has had enough chances ? Its the most traumatic thing i have ever gone through and im not prepared to stand and let it happen again.

If you dont agree with what im doing dont sign the petition but please dont tell me not to take action after trying to go through all the legal action and police help to stop this dog and nothing being done to help me. I have taken into my own hands.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by aoifeturner View Post

And in response to your message, i agree with you that your dog should be able defend its space, but if you know that it could attack a friendly dog for coming and having a sniff and your leaving it to do what it wants because you think it should defend its space?
If my dog got intimidated by a dog it would bark first not bite
This was the culmination of it being a right pest and already being barked at to go away by one of my other dogs - while the owner did absolutely nothing. It didn't come up to my dog for a sniff, it leaped out of some bushes and landed in front of his nose which he decided was scary enough to warrant defending himself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >