Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Dog Insurance for the older dog

I have just done something which I am sure some will find shocking.

I have cancelled the insurance for the dogs

Oh and I had a very big chat about it when the renewals came, I have always had thoughts about what I would do if one of the developed a serious illness (cancer for instance) I would not put them through the treatment. So for me one major point of it, was gone. 2nd..if they developed something on going. I know that if they had something major that needed a cocktail of drugs to be ok (but not 100% healthy) I couldn't do it. Unless I knew they were pain free, and not going to suffer.

Our other thought was, the only time we claimed was last summer when Kerrie was dripping wee (turned out to be a UTI) the bill (including drugs, and consultation) was £128. Excess was £80. Plus of course that months premium. Just seemed very daft IMO.

Now the renewals have come in, and we are looking at £90(direct line) to insure them all.

Now, let me make it clear, this is not a case of we cannot, or will not pay out the money. But I do have to take a step back and wonder whether its even viable to insure them. They are middle aged dogs, other than a teeth clean, UTI, and annual jabs they are a fairly healthy bunch.

The decision that we have made, is that we (already) each have a CC. Those cards are now to be kept for those mega emergencies (run over by a car), and the £90 will now be put into a savings account, and this will be used for the little hiccups (like Kerrie's UTI)

What are the thoughts on this?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't think you're mad at all, I cancelled mine years ago. In all the years of owning dogs I have only ever made one claim and that was for quite a small amount. I have a credit card with a large credit limit should the need arise and enough savings to take care of any bills that might occur.
I think it's a personal choice and each to their own.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't think you're mad at all!

I have dog insurance for 2 reasons... 1) public liability insurance and 2) the fact that both my boys have had accidents etc, and our costs at the vet have been approx £2k in the last 2 or 3 years. I can't afford to pay out that kind of money, so I prefer insurance.

If I didn't have dogs who've had lumps removed etc, and other accidents needing emergency treatment, I'd certainly consider getting rid.

As Max has had a MCT, he isn't covered for any other lumps etc anyway, so I'm considering getting rid of his.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:17 PM
I dont think you are mad, i think there probably comes a time for people when it is right to consider. I at the moment will keep up insurance with two just turned one year old springers, I think i could well get my moneys worth in a few years quite possibly, but like you may decide differently later on.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Heehee i don't think you're mad either!

We didn't renew Zeke's insurance this year, he's 8-ish, he's been through one course of chemo for his Lymphoma so when the cancer comes back we have decided we're going down the pallative care route for his own sake. His now weakened immune system also means that if he was to get any other major illness he wouldn't recover, even if he was to get bitten, hurt his legs etc he wouldn't get through any major treatment, and he can't have a GA anyway. Poor lad.

Keisha's still got insurance though, (but only £10 a month very low cover), she's only 4 and she needs the public liability cover We have decent wages and a credit card to manage xxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Depends how much money you have available to you if something did happen. I have paid approx £4000 (and that is probably conservative), in treating dogs who didn't have insurance. It is whether you are prepared to take the gamble. Good luck.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:02 PM
We are about to cancel Jimmi's insurance with Pet Plan. When we first got him 18 months or so ago, he had a month of free insurance which we carried on, but I did ring them up and explain that we had no idea how old he actually was even though Dogs Trust had put 8 on the form that they had.

He is definitely in his teens, and I can imagine that if we tried to make a claim this fact might come to light and nullify the insurance, even though I talked to them on the phone about it, so if anything major needs to be done then we will just pay up ourselves.

Although he has been in and out of the vet like a yoyo since we had him, and has accumulatively cost a fortune, no one session was worth claiming for because of the excess or because it was a continuation of a condition that he came to us with.

I don't think that you are mad at all!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 06:13 AM
I think if I had a pup/younger dog, I would just leave it to run, because I do think it is worthwhile. Equally, if I had a certain breed, one predisposed to having horrible diseases/issues. Then I would pay the higher premium too!

However, in the 5 years I have had Kerrie and Poppy, and 3 years I have had Roo. I have only claimed once. and that really wasnt worth much.

We both have cc's with around 5k limits on each, plus the £90 will be going to savings for them.

I have however, left the cat insurance as it is, they do go out and they do come into contact with other cats/traffic etc
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2011, 06:28 AM
I do not have any pet insurance for Pereg - I do not think there is such a thing here but I doubt if I would have taken any out even if there was.

Regarding public liability insurance, that is covered on my home contents insurance and applies not only inside my home and in my yard, but also if she got loose and bit someone or caused an accident.

Apart from inoculations, spaying and dental surgery [and I do not think those are normally covered by pet insurance are they?] I only had to take Little One to the vet once, when she had eaten something that had been chucked in the yard and which gave her bloody diarrhoea.

One examination, a blood test, two injections, and instructions for feeding her for the following few days cost me about £35.

Would pet insurance have helped me with Pereg's condition now? Probably not as the monthly fees would probably be more than her medication and blood tests are, and I would have to pay the first x amount for each treatment.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 04:36 PM
To be honest I think it eventually gets to the dog being at an age when you can't always afford insurance and have to pay so much percentage of the bills even if you do have insurance, that unless you are on a very good income it is unaffordable.
If he did have anything seriously wrong with him I would not put his through
We still have insurance for Parker (9 and a half) but I swap companies each year at renewal time as he hasn't had any pre-existing illnesses or claims. His policy this year is only £18 a month but we would have to pay 15% of any claims becuase of his age.

invasive treatment as he is such a wuss by nature it would not be in his best intereest as dogs live in the now and he wouldn't know he would hopefully be feeling much better in so many weeks time.

I got a quote last night from Sainsbury's as they've got what looked like a good special offer of £40 in vouchers and double nectar points for 2 years but they wanted £60 a month for Izzy! (nearly 9)

I've gone onto "Go compare" and found a really good lifetime policy for £30 a month which we'll be getting as we don't have much in the way of savings if she did need vet care.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >