View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Went to Norway not long ago, I paid £5 for 1/2 a pint of coke!!!!!

Paid £2 for half a pint of coke at Silverstone at the F1 a few weeks ago!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Haven't been abroad in years - I hate flying, hubby hates the heat.

We're going to Skye but staying with relatives so it's literally petrol costs for us (so that'll be a second mortgage required then).
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 05:32 PM
No children here just a mum who works in a school and is seriously deserving of a break so I hunted and booked a place and then told her where we're going!
I normally avoid holidaying anywhere during any of the school breaks as I travel by myself so can book last minute or travel during unpopular periods. I totally agree that there are loads of lovely places to see in the UK, it's just the prices that put most off of seeing their own country which makes me sad, I know a family who's children have been to spanish islands several times but never seen the english coast !
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 05:38 PM
We tend to head to France, 6 nights in a 3 bed house for 4 of us is £400 in August. £50 return ferry plus petrol costs on top.

We tend to walk alot when we're there & only eat out once the whole time we're there, but we like cooking & always go way overboard buying french food...

We took the kids to wales for a 5 night break last year it cost us £300 plus petrol & food on top...
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:38 AM
we always holiday in uk but try to go out of high season. about 3 yrs ago we paid about £500 for a cottage for 2 weeks in the lake district (was outside national park) in september. next we are paying about £600 for 2 weeks in may inside the national park. we had a cheap holiday in wales this year but the accomodation was rubbish. off to north devon in september where we have paid £210 for a flat for a week.

sue
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 07:06 AM
It can be very costly to holiday here. We wouldn't do it any other way but it is a shame some people get priced out of going away in their own homeland. Even a day out for a family can cost the earth.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm really lucky, cos my friends live in cornwall so it only costs us for petrol and food. Arrived yesterday and saw some dolphins!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I regularly take Oscar to the Welsh coast (normally north Wales as it's closest to us). His Dad will take him to the south coast of England. I do go back to Spain when I can with Oscar.
Oscar doesn't care where he goes so long as he can play on a beach and make friends with other kids - which he can do easily either here or in Spain.

Having said that to keep the cost down I eitehr have to take the dogs with me (in the UK) or ask friends or relatives to have one or two of them. Zane and Yiannis are more than OK in teh small kennels I use but to put all 4 dogs in to go away costs more thant eh holiday/break for us. So I tend to weither go for a few days or a weekend.
I have been known to go out for the day to the beach in Rhyl and take the dogs too so only petrol costs there. But at this time of year they're not allowed on the sand.

It's a difficult one. I really need to buy one of those huge touring caravan/mobile home type vehicle thingys so we can go anywhere and take the dogs too. I may be able to afford one when I'm about 70!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2