Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can`t bath him. I`ll have a go with a hairbrush.
Point taken claireandaisy, but you did say you needed to be gentle. You can always try a lawn rake if a hairbrush is no good - don't hit me - only a joke.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I have to groom him in short bursts or he gets too stressed. I can`t imagine what he`d do if I tried to get him into a bath.
The coat king looks good, but the price is a bit high. So I`ll have a go with a bobble-ended brush first.
thanks
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have to groom him in short bursts or he gets too stressed. I can`t imagine what he`d do if I tried to get him into a bath.
The coat king looks good, but the price is a bit high. So I`ll have a go with a bobble-ended brush first.
thanks
I've been looking at Coat Kings for some time after having them recommended by many people including groomers. Yep the price is high BUT they are made to last forever and all parts are replaceable. I may be wrong but it also looks to me that it may be possible to add/remove the number of blades on some models.

At the moment my undercoat rake (Premo, double row of teeth) is doing a fab job and I'd recommend one of these to anyone.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2010, 02:21 AM
I have long used a wiore slicker brush, not only on my Labs, but a Shepherd, Husky, and Tux, the Golden we had last year. I found it as effective as a Furminator, likely no less comfortable, and much faster.

Recently I have switched to something similar to what somebody may have described as a human style brush. It has heavy wires radiating out from a cushion with little balls on the end. The teeth are 3/4'' long. My daughter has a similar one and it works well on her Shepherd. It may be slightly less effective then the slicker brush, but I think it is more comfortable to the dogs. The dogs' comfort is worth a little more of my time. I am not sure where it came from, perhaps a freebie since it has Science Diet logos on it.

I also have a brush with large conical rubber teeth. I think it works better on outside guard hairs than undercoat.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd go with a coat king like Loki's Mum said ..... mine has been priceless for the undercoat
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I resorted to one of my hairbrushes on Zena too, in an attempt to be more gentle than those awful slickers with sharp little pins in, to another one I bought that's very plastic, and again quite hard, and then the good old rake of course, which I swear by, but my own hairbrush did the job just as well, plus it got her used to being brushed and she actually likes it now, so I can resort to that rake! I did get something similar to a furminator in P@H and I've used it on Georgie (it's red and black, and looks a bit like an oversized razor!) but quite honestly, I found the rake did the job much better.

I never bath first either, Georgie would be far too mattie after a bath, although a lot of coat does drop out when bathing, but I found it a lot more difficult, so usually do it the other way around, good groom then a bath for what's left in there.

Once you've got it all out with a hairbrush, going over it all with one of those double combes like someone else said finishes it off, then you know for sure you've got it all out in the process. Good luck, I know how stressy he must get with all this attention he now gets, but it's well worth it in the end to get rid of all that dead stuff especially in this heat.
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Coat king every time for my dogs in the salon
Karlie coat kings are cheaper than Mars, and just as good
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Some one said 'Zoom groom' I've got a cat one and a dog one, the cats LOVE it and it gets the coat out really well. None of our dogs have quite the right coat for the dog one (shorthaired and wiry haired, I think it'd work best for longer coated dogs) they like it but they don't have much fur to get out but I also use it on the horses when they are losing there coats and it's better than a rubber curry comb etc at getting the coat out it's really fab, I should think it'd work quite well on a GSD and it's more like your massaging / running your fingers thro the coat effect (rubbery fingers which drag the coat out) depending on how you use it so if your dog gets stressed it might be worth a try.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2