View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Benson used to be very itchy, especialy the armpits.........I changed to different feeds but with no total joy.......until I went raw
He is in such good health and shape.....and no itchies!
A lot of skin problems are yeast related and yeast is fed by sugars and carbohydrates........both found in most dry foods!
Dogs dont need carbohydrates in their diet!
I dont feed veg but I supplement with Dorest Keepers mix, which is a great herbal addition.And Apple cider vinegar (un-pasturised) And Ester-c...which is great for joints.

Its the best thing I ever did, to change him to raw.If you are at all worried about feeding bones, then you can just feed minces that have had the bones/carcasses minced into them. It really isn't rocket science...........after all ,I can do it!

Let us know how it goes
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
oh gee thanks for telling me the wonderful future for my boy!!!
Do you actually know if your dog does in fact have true allergies? has he been tested?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
Do you actually know if your dog does in fact have true allergies? has he been tested?
he hasnt been tested, but he was treated for numerous other things and nothing worked. then, finally, he was put on steriods which cleared it up almost instantly. when he was all cleared up and been on them for a few weeks, he was taken off them and within a week... it was all back again. this happened a few times. then he was put on wafcol (a hypoallergenic food specifically for elimination diets, just in case you dont know), and he has been fine since. he has had no steroids since he last cleared up (about 2 weeks after he started on the wafcol) and has had chicken, beef and now lamb put back into his diet and so far, there is still nothing.

since the food is the only change he has had, and no other treatments have worked, we are pretty certain it is a food allergy. he also had some of the symptoms you mentioned in your post, fur loss and open sores on his face and fur loss on his ears. he also had ear infections a lot, and went to the toilet a lot. and the obvious itching and scratching at his face. i have also heard that the allergy testing isnt that accurate for identify food allergies.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 12:31 AM
What was he having in his diet before that he is not having now? which wafcol was is he on Salmon and potato or fish/corn or a different one?

I found with raw food my dog developed reactions sooner than if on cooked food or a kibble, the one that lasted my dog the longest was Skinners duck/rice he was fed that from Nov 07 until he was pts in Dec 09. A Venison based food lasted 6mths, raw meats I got reactions which varied from a few weeks to a few months.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
What was he having in his diet before that he is not having now? which wafcol was is he on Salmon and potato or fish/corn or a different one?

I found with raw food my dog developed reactions sooner than if on cooked food or a kibble, the one that lasted my dog the longest was Skinners duck/rice he was fed that from Nov 07 until he was pts in Dec 09. A Venison based food lasted 6mths, raw meats I got reactions which varied from a few weeks to a few months.
before he was on wainwrights, and got some meat as well but he is back to getting that now so wainwrights is the only thing still kept out of his diet. he also used to get the odd bit of bread etc, but that still isnt in his diet... that was occassional though so doubt that alone could cause the reaction he got. he is on the salmon and potato wafcol, which the one the vet specifically told me to put him on.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Was it chicken based wainwrights? if so does he have chicken now? if yes how long for.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Was it chicken based wainwrights? if so does he have chicken now? if yes how long for.
well, he was on the turkey and rice one, so that obviously contained turkey, but then he had the salmon and potato and then the lamb and rice one. he had the allergic reaction during all of the different flavours. yes, he gets chicken now and has been getting it for about 5/6 weeks.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3