View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
blkntanbull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-06-2010, 03:38 PM
hi there, i have exactly the same problem with my 18 month king charles spaniel,he appears leggy and lean and quite picky at times,ive had him on the arden grange puppy(according to their website it is sutable for adult toy dogs too),raw tripe and also he gets one meal of wainrights tripe and rice tray which he likes.he appears so immature in body when in the show ring , so we are showing him sparingly this year as in the post grad class he looks the most immature by a mile.his breeders have assured me he will body up in time but he's just going to be a late developer.so i'm not fretting anymore and as long as he does eat each day,i wont be concerned.he's quite an active dog too which doesnt help in keeping his weight on. i have witnessed the same thing in my youngest tibetan spaniel,which i bred, she remained slim and with her hip bones prominent until she turned 3 ,then just bodied up in a matter of months and now has a nice covering.her brother bodied up much sooner.some dogs just are slow to body up,and yours may do it in his own time.hope this offers an insight,roy.
blkntanbull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-06-2010, 03:43 PM
i forgot to add i tried bionic biotic and it didnt seem to change anything,apart from him not wanting to eat cos it was in his food!
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2010, 04:41 PM
What dry are you feeding?
PErsonally I am not a fan of dry diets,
Nature diet and Forthglade are both good quality wet food, and even fussy dogs are tempted to eat these brands.
Also for fattening up tripe is good!
DT

Also make sure you are up to date with worming
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Inappropriate off topic posts about obese dogs will be removed.
Please note this topic is about an underweight dog.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by blkntanbull View Post
i forgot to add i tried bionic biotic and it didnt seem to change anything,apart from him not wanting to eat cos it was in his food!
Thanks for your info and suggestions, Roy, that last bit made me laugh as it is exactly what Gozo does, totally turns his nose up if I try to sneak anything in there, had the exact problem when I tried Yumega.

Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
What dry are you feeding?
PErsonally I am not a fan of dry diets,
Nature diet and Forthglade are both good quality wet food, and even fussy dogs are tempted to eat these brands.
Also for fattening up tripe is good!
DT

Also make sure you are up to date with worming
Worming - check all up to date.
Nature Diet - he will eat a bit of (not heard of Forthglade, is it similar?)
Tripe - Ditto, will eat a bit, not enough to get fat on.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Inappropriate off topic posts about obese dogs removed.
Please note this topic is about an underweight dog.
Thanks Mini (sorry for getting a bit heated) the Darlings order arrived this morning...

So 10th June Goz weighs 3.3kg, I will report back in 28 days and let you know how we get on.

J.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 08:59 AM
T was the same with Yumega I ended up drizzling it over his liver before i grilled it and no change with the Bionic B. (had seen good results with their equine version so thought it was worth a try) guess you cant argue with nature sometimes its just a case of growing up and filling out!
Meg
Supervisor

11-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Thanks for your info and suggestions, Roy, that last bit made me laugh as it is exactly what Gozo does, totally turns his nose up if I try to sneak anything in there, had the exact problem when I tried Yumega.

Worming - check all up to date.
Nature Diet - he will eat a bit of (not heard of Forthglade, is it similar?)
Tripe - Ditto, will eat a bit, not enough to get fat on.

Thanks Mini (sorry for getting a bit heated) the Darlings order arrived this morning...

So 10th June Goz weighs 3.3kg, I will report back in 28 days and let you know how we get on.

J.
Hi J no problem, I can understand your exasperation.
I will be interested to see how you get on with raw feeding.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Nothing helpful to add and I'll probably get slated by mods for being off topic, but how cute are your Affens?!

We need to see more of them!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2010, 07:59 AM
I think looking at both pics of your two, I kind of agree with others, in as much as Gozo looks slightly lighter in frame, so maybe comparison to the other is making you feel he is underweight.

Although looking at the pics again, your other dog is far from obese so "labmans" worries are unfounded. it looks to me you know exactly what a healthy dog should look like, and are in no danger of turning little Gozo into a football.

Good luck with the new food, it may help, he may be slow maturing, but he is certainly in no danger of becoming obese.

P.S I can totally understand your frustration at a certain member, he is a little trying at times!!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Nothing helpful to add and I'll probably get slated by mods for being off topic, but how cute are your Affens?!

We need to see more of them!
Ahh, thanks, they are great little dogs, 'though I say so myself!

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think looking at both pics of your two, I kind of agree with others, in as much as Gozo looks slightly lighter in frame, so maybe comparison to the other is making you feel he is underweight.

I know what you mean about comparisons, whenever I look after my friend's lurcher I start thinking my guys look fat!

Although looking at the pics again, your other dog is far from obese so "labmans" worries are unfounded. it looks to me you know exactly what a healthy dog should look like, and are in no danger of turning little Gozo into a football.

Good luck with the new food, it may help, he may be slow maturing, but he is certainly in no danger of becoming obese.

P.S I can totally understand your frustration at a certain member, he is a little trying at times!!
Thanks, Jackbox, my main concern is that if Gozo got poorly (god forbid!) he has no reserves to fall back on. I'm a great believer that the occasional 24 hr fast is good for a dog, especially if they have an upset tummy, but fear that my skinny boy would scarcely have enough stored to get by on.

The early days on Darling's are not going well, Mr. Fussypants is not that interested and I'm not getting close to the recommended amount in him. (The other 2 are, of course, desperate to get at it! Typical!)

J.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4