View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2010, 04:11 PM

How to get my dog used to grooming salons?

my tibetan terrier has the loveliest coat, but im thinking of getting her hair cut as were moving house, holidays, coursework just time a bit busy at the moment to keep on top of her coat

Has anybody have any ideas of how to get her used to the salon as she's only ver been once but the women rang up asking us to come pick her up 5 mins after dropping her off?

I'm not really an experienced groomer so i don't know all the grooming terms! Is it a puppy cut where they shorten the length but make them look a bit scruffy and cute?

please help?
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Did the groomer say why you had to collect her after 5 minutes??
Was it a really busy salon with lots of dogs in?

I generally only have 1 dog at a time in, so its a bit less stressful........tho I trained in a salon where all the dogs arrived first thing......lots of them loved it, like puppy play time!

I do the short tibetans a puppy/teddy trim, same as lhasa, with slightly different head......very easy for owners to look after
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I would suggest phoning a few groomers and speaking with them about your concerns. Where I work we have new dogs all the time and they are nervous of course but generally fine having a wash and brush up. It may help us to answer more fully if we knew why you were asked to collect so soon...?
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I tried to introduce Tilly to groomers at an early age( 5 months) - she wasn't too bad the first time (we thought) the 2nd time they muzzled her as she was scared of the water & was biting & the 3rd time I too had to return to collect her after 10 minutes as she was too stressed.
I've never been since & have had to gradually earn her trust to let me groom her & bath her myself - not sure where it all went wrong other than perhaps I should have stayed with her.
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
shes called tilly aswell

i first took her about 7months and the groomer said just drop her off as she'll be better by herself, so we dropped her off and about 10 mintues later she rang up asking us to come pick her up.

She said that tilly was really unsettled and kept trying to snap at her.

i then took her to the vets to get her sedated as she was quite matted

but thankfully shes got a really nice coat (growing) and she is alot better at being groomed almost enjoying it

but like i said i'm struggling to fit in with time to regualry groom her.

so just need to know where to start really??