register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarobb16
New Member!

20-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Ear infections - is the operation worth it?

Hi

Just a quick questions - we have a terrier cross that is constantly getting ear infections (we had her from a home and seems from her vets notes that this is an historic thing).

The vet has suggested that she has an operation on both ears - whereby they will cut away some of the folds of skin within the ear. Thus allowing a better air flow, this will not stop the ear infections completley but will apparently reduce them and when she does get infections make them easier/quicker to treat.

Apparently this is a common operation within westy's but I don't know anyone that has had it done.

Has anyone here had the operation or heard about it and do you think its worthwhile? Has it made a dramatic difference to the dogs life?

She has issues and is very tempermental and insecure. We've had her a year and she has settled down slightly but she has already had her anal glands removed in the last year and I don't want to put her through any more pain/discomfort if it isn't going to improve her quality of life.

Any opinions/comments welcome and wanted.

Sarah
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2005, 04:10 AM
I can't really help you as we have never had ear infection problems. However I know of a GSD that had chronic & vary painful ear problems. The vet suggested that it could be a food allergy as the various treatments were no working. All wheat, dairy and beef products, together with all artifical colourings, preservatives, etc. were cut from her diet. Her treats are limited to pieces of pork & lamb liver.Her ears improved and after about 3-4 months they were perfectly ok.

I am not saying that your dog has a severe food allergy, but I would definitely rule out the possibility before resorting to surgery. (Find out the terminology for the operation that your vet is considering, e.g. lateral ear resection, and then you can get full information from a textbook or through a Google search).

Hope things work out well for you & your dog.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 08:45 AM
have you tried thornit powder?my lab poppy has severe ear probs but a bit of thornit powder clears it completely!she was due for an aural resection but i didnt want to put her through it
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 09:26 AM
We have just got some Thornit Powder for Sweep, his ear is continually yucky, hoping Thornit will work as I have heard so much about it,
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes as Candy says Thornitt ear powder is excellent. My Cocker bitch Emma used to have a lot of trouble with her ears and was also always licking and chewing at her feet she is now eating only burns complete dog food and i use thornitt ear powder once a week. She is a different dog now and her ears are much better than they ever were. Our vet said that he thought she was allergic to yeast and if you look at the ingredients of lots of complete dog foods even the hypoallergenic ones they do contain yeast.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2005, 10:20 AM
agree ...try thornit first ...it's great stuff
gillcowie
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by sarobb16 View Post
Hi

Just a quick questions - we have a terrier cross that is constantly getting ear infections (we had her from a home and seems from her vets notes that this is an historic thing).

The vet has suggested that she has an operation on both ears - whereby they will cut away some of the folds of skin within the ear. Thus allowing a better air flow, this will not stop the ear infections completley but will apparently reduce them and when she does get infections make them easier/quicker to treat.

Apparently this is a common operation within westy's but I don't know anyone that has had it done.

Has anyone here had the operation or heard about it and do you think its worthwhile? Has it made a dramatic difference to the dogs life?

She has issues and is very tempermental and insecure. We've had her a year and she has settled down slightly but she has already had her anal glands removed in the last year and I don't want to put her through any more pain/discomfort if it isn't going to improve her quality of life.

Any opinions/comments welcome and wanted.

Sarah
Hi
I have two westies. One rescue who is into everything but the other one is jst so loving she is the one with the ear problems but only started when she was 3 now 7. She had 2 ops to remove solid wax she fell over like drunk it did go but it was heartache putting drops in and then putting her through 2 ops after 8 months clear the other ear has started to do the same I want to find out where to buy THORNITT from and give it a try.
She has not suffered due to the ops, she eats well and plays just like when first brought home its great having a 7 yr old pup in the house but it is worst knowing they cannot tell you it hurts and looking into there eyes.
gillcowie
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
agree ...try thornit first ...it's great stuff
Hi
Where can I buy this THORNITT from??

Gill
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
An awful lot of skin and ear infections are yeast/food related.
I would try your dog on a raw diet.....this really does clear a lot of problems. Not saying it will, but deffo worth a try before an op.
Also agree about the thornit powder, its great
Good luck.
gillcowie
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by silv View Post
An awful lot of skin and ear infections are yeast/food related.
I would try your dog on a raw diet.....this really does clear a lot of problems. Not saying it will, but deffo worth a try before an op.
Also agree about the thornit powder, its great
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. Have you used Thornitt? If so can you tell me where I can get it to try on my Lulu please?!
Many thanks

Gill
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >