View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Hot spots - any over the counter treatment?

My Lab has developed a rather gross looking hot spot on the back of his head. It isn't huge, but it is definately very noticable.

Has anyone found any over the counter treatment that I can order online to treat it? powders, potions, etc.? he has had a couple of hotspots before, but I took him to the vet each time. I would rather avoid the £30 consultation and £30 of treatment if at all possible.

Thanks!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 03:57 PM
The only thing I have found to actually work on these (with my severely pyodermic dog) is the Fuciderm from the vet. YOu can buy it online, but of course, you have to get that prescripton filled in, and the cheapest tube is I think about a tenner? It's amazing stuff though, it will heal over within 24 hours! I've used tubes of the stuff over the years, but thankfully don't have to anymore! Good luck. I can't think of anything apart from the good old Sudocrem that might work, that's otc?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 04:02 PM
The only thing I have found to actually work on these (with my severely pyodermic dog) is the Fuciderm from the vet. YOu can buy it online, but of course, you have to get that prescripton filled in, and the cheapest tube is I think about a tenner? It's amazing stuff though, it will heal over within 24 hours! I've used tubes of the stuff over the years, but thankfully don't have to anymore! Good luck. I can't think of anything apart from the good old Sudocrem that might work, that's otc?
Thanks. They have that on Pet Meds.co.uk, so I'll see if I can order it later.

Ugly things those hot spots are.

Where in West Sussex are you by the way? I saw some pictures of your dogs up on the Downs in the photo section. If you see a scruffy looking gal with a naughty Lab up there, that'd be me!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Lol! I'll look out for you then! I'm at the bottom of Cissbury Hill, in Findon Village? I either go up via the Storrington Rise car park side, or straight up through Findon, or I go up to High Salvington, that's a good one! Know all those?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Is that up Worthing way? generally I go to the beach (Goring) if I am that way. I'm outside of Brighton...think Ditching Beacon area.

Unfortunately that hotspot stuff is perscription only. I just looked. So my woof has a date with the vet tomorrow.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
You're about 10 miles away then, yes I'm nr Worthing and I know Goring very well of course, but don't do the beach coz of my boy's skin, but I will be with the new girlie.

If your lad has had these before, couldn't you just try phoning the vet and asking him if you could possibly (beg) have a tube of Fuciderm put by and you'll pick it up tomorrow? That way you will avoid the consultation, but they won't do it of course if they haven't seen your dog for 3 months! The smaller tube is about £11 and that might just do you?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:20 PM
We haven't been to vets in around a year, so can't do an over the phone perscription unfortunately. Plus my vets are super reluctant to do over the phone perscriptions anyway as they miss out on the consultation fee.
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:31 PM
You should be able to buy Hibiscrub over the counter either from your vet or a chemist. If possible try to clip the hair short and scrub with diluted Hibiscrub 3 times a day. If he is scratching at it you will need to get a buster collar for him as this will make it worse. If possible leave the area open to the air as this will help it to dry up and heal.

Long term you could add some Evening Primrose oil to his dinner as this will help to prevent it happening again.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Hibiscrub and some other anti-bacterial thing is what we got when he last had it. I don't think I have ever seen Hibiscrub in a chemist? perhaps I haven't been looking hard enough.

Oh well. I need to get him weighed anyway as he is looking a little chunkier than usual.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:57 PM
No, you won't see it in any Chemist, but Boots do it over the counter! You will also find it in the Sainsbury's chemist department but it's very, very expensive now in there, whereas Boots, it's cheap as chips!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >