Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 10:35 PM

Some advice needed , a grumbling dog.

Hi all, I`m after some advice. Over the last few days Fudge has been a bit grumbly with people.She has on a few occasions objected vocally to being takjen out of a room, or being moved off the sofa.She has turned her head quickly towards the hand doing this action and made a small grumble . Normally this is associated with food. I must state quite clearly that she has not attempted to bite anyone it is like what a dog does if another one is annoying them. She stops straight away when she sees the hand, then acts all submissive.She is perfectly alright around her own food bowl and will sit and wait until told.I can also remove her bowl without her reacting at all.

The example I would give is children eating in the front room. fudge getting too close and begging and this happening when being moved backwards with her collar. The other occasion was when she was being taken out of a room (which I was in ) again by her collar.She has also done this when being taken down from the settee. (on this occasion it was my leg moving her body sideways from under a blanket.) On all occasions there was food in the room and she was being moved away from it.

My questions are,

Is this a food issue?
Is she flexing her muscles?
What strategies would you use to knock this on the head?

She is a very gentle dog and has shown no aggression to any other dog and lets the kids play with her with no problems whatsoever. It is something that has happened about 4 times over the last week that has caught my attention and I don`t want it to continue or indeed escalate.

All help gratefully received.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 10:43 PM
The first thing I would advise is take her to the vets just to make sure it isn't anything medical. If she's in pain around the area of her collar that could make her snap etc

Apart from that I'm not sure to be honest, might be one for a professional behaviourist?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
The first thing I would advise is take her to the vets just to make sure it isn't anything medical. If she's in pain around the area of her collar that could make her snap etc

Apart from that I'm not sure to be honest, might be one for a professional behaviourist?

Thanks for the advice.

I have read through my original post again and am about to make some edits. I think my description of her behaviour gives the wrong impression of her response.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 11:04 PM
no help here but good luck in your quest for finding it,hope shes ok though,xx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Is she a rescue dog? If so, do you know anything of her history?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the support Zoey Beau. i did wonder if it was tied in with her having been dosed up twice a day with her eye treatment, or if she was feeling a bit under par. She hates being taken away from me, and food too for that matter.

I will keep a close eye on her over the next few days and observe what triggers it (if it happens again.) We are at the vets anyway this week so I will mention it there as well.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Is she a rescue dog? If so, do you know anything of her history?

We have has her since she was a puppy from our local rescue. she is very friendly towards people but can be wary of other dogs. when she has met them she plays really well, we have had no aggression problems at all with her.

She is about 20 months old and could be described as a nervy dog in certain situations .She hates sudden or loud sounds ( she was fine before fireworks last Novenmber). She comes straight to me for reassuranceif she is worried about anything.She is very much a typical collie x, very active but generally obedient and well behaved. She does have a thing about stealing food if she can get it, although she does not wolf her own food down and leaves it in her dish for later.

She is very much my dog in the house, and responds to instructions from me with no real problem.

I hope this extra info may have helped.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-06-2007, 11:30 PM
As you know, this behavior is out of character for Fudge so I suspect she's uncomfortable for some reason.

I know she's had a wee problem with her eyes so this could perhaps result in her having a short temper.

Having said that, I'd wait till she's settled or even better, asleep (no kids or food about) and give her a good feel and prod just to make sue there's nothing else bothering her.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
As you know, this behavior is out of character for Fudge so I suspect she's uncomfortable for some reason.

I know she's had a wee problem with her eyes so this could perhaps result in her having a short temper.

Having said that, I'd wait till she's settled or even better, asleep (no kids or food about) and give her a good feel and prod just to make sue there's nothing else bothering her.
I will do it tomorrow when the house is calmer. That was my initial reaction.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Off topic (slightly) Just switched my mobile on after a couple of dormant days (work phone and all that) to find a message from Pete saying “Hi, not spoken since about 1997- getting married in the morning (she’s upstairs getting ready so can’t talk just now) I’ll call after Monday"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >