Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickp23
New Member!
Male 

27-01-2015, 10:25 PM

Wheaten Terrier Post OP problem

Hey guys, new to the forums but I just wanted to get some feedback from the community.

My little guy Rocky is a 1 year old Wheaten Terrier. We had him Neutered 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine, just about ready to take off his cone, and yesterday he wasn't acting himself. Very slow to move around. We noticed his scrotum was considerably swollen.

The Vet said that it is not blood because it is not bruised. She said it could possibly be that he injured it and it is taking on fluid. I don't see how he could've injured it because he was just relaxing with us the whole day before. She gave him some antibiotics to be on the safe side. It is just puzzling that 2 weeks after, this is now occurring. Just a little worried about my dude.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Welcome to Dogsey Nick
Sorry I can't offer any advice,poor wee Rocky Fingers crossed the abs sort it out and he's back to full health soon xx
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi

Pardon my ignorance but I thought they whipped the whole lot off but you say his scrotum is swollen?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2015, 09:42 AM
My boy is neutered and he has a scrotum, as well. It's empty, and not big, but certainly there. He's a pediatric neuter so his is smaller than most. There is usually somewhat of a scrotum left. They rarely cut the skin here, just hack it open and remove everything inside. It shrinks a bit, but is usually there.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by nickp23 View Post
Hey guys, new to the forums but I just wanted to get some feedback from the community.

My little guy Rocky is a 1 year old Wheaten Terrier. We had him Neutered 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine, just about ready to take off his cone, and yesterday he wasn't acting himself. Very slow to move around. We noticed his scrotum was considerably swollen.

The Vet said that it is not blood because it is not bruised. She said it could possibly be that he injured it and it is taking on fluid. I don't see how he could've injured it because he was just relaxing with us the whole day before. She gave him some antibiotics to be on the safe side. It is just puzzling that 2 weeks after, this is now occurring. Just a little worried about my dude.
Hello Nicholas and welcome

Neutering a dog (as opposed to spaying a bitch) is a quick and relatively simple procedure.
The scrotal sack should be quite flat once the testicles have been removed and any post operative swelling has gone.
I would expect most dogs to be back to normal in about 48 hours although the wound will not knit together fully for about two weeks and it is best to reduce a dogs activity during this time which you have been doing.

If there is swelling in the scrotum it could mean an infection which is why your vet will have prescribed antibiotics.
Being 'slow to move around' is a possible indication of pain.

Is your dog eating/drinking/peeing/pooing ok, is he showing any other signs of illness like excessive panting/shaking/arching his back.

The antibiotics should start to work after 36 hours.
If you dog is exhibiting any of the symptoms above/if you are worried/if there is no improvement or the swelling worsens I would go back to your vet immediately .
Don't be afraid to seek a second opinion from another vet either.

I hope your dog is better soon.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Hi Nicholas, and welcome!

Meg is spot on right. Any operation, no matter how simple or routine, carries a risk, especially of infection. Fortunately this is usually easy to treat-- the antibiotics should do the trick.

As for the possibility of injury... never underestimate a puppy. He may have been relaxing with you, cone on, nothing doing-- but as soon as your eyes are averted he'll twist himself into some convoluted position and pull something on that sensitive healing spot! The only remedy for this is rest, rest, and more rest-- yeah, I know, tell that to a 1 year old terrier. I don't envy you.

Hopefully the antibiotics will work and your little guy will be able to sit still long enough for the wound to heal up. As Meg said, keep an eye on him for anything unusual, and if you're worried take him straight in to a vet. I wish you well!