Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2009, 09:16 AM

Foods for dogs with Kidney Disease

I'm doing a bit of reading to sort out Eddy's diet (going to try the home made approach as he doesn't like KD and, whilst we haven't yet tried the RC renal diet, it's incredibly expensive!)

I found this list of foods but it was aimed at cats - is there any reason this can't apply to him to? Only I'm looking at treats he can have as he's so used to having little snacks and treats I don't want to stop him having them. Some of these he would have as treats, others I want to know if I can use in his food:

* alfalfa Alkalizes and detoxifies. Acts as a diuretic. Good for anemia, digestive disorders and increases appetite.
* astragalus Protects immune system.
* cornsilk Aids chronic kidney problems. Acts as a diuretic.
* dandelion Cleanses the bloodstream and liver. The leaves act as a diuretic. Improves kidney function, and is useful for anemia.
* garlic Detoxifies and protects. Helps immune function.
* ginger Helps relieve nausea. A strong antioxidant.
* gingko Good for heart and kidney disorders.
* hawthorn Restores heart muscle. Useful for anemia.
* marshmallow Acts as a diuretic. Good for kidney problems.
* milk thistle Protects the liver, and kidneys.
* oatstraw Antidepressant.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Jake had kidney failure and I was recommended Green tripe. Its a pain to get hold of but if you can its a cheap and really effective way to keep things in check.
Petra
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Our leo has had some kidney dysfunction for a few weeks post anaesthetic and spay.

We are managing to get k/d down her (tinned, she won't touch the dried).

We haven't tried anything else yet, as we aren't sure at this point if it's going to be a chronic problem.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2009, 05:00 PM
This is a good site if you mail the owner she's very helpful
http://www.dogaware.com/
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2009, 06:56 PM
for kidney problems I fed Loki the following diet:

50% carbs, such as white rice - no wholegrains, or sweet potato
50% high quality protein such as fresh fish (without bones)and lamb.
EPA and DHA fish oils

Avoid anything with high salt and potassium eg.
tinned fish, peas, sweetcorn, bones. Fatty meats are better than lean meats, and lamb or mutton contain less potassium than turkey and chicken.

The carbs are 'empty calories' to give the dog energy without too much protein. Many renal pet food diets have low protein, but studies suggest that high quality meat and fish protein are more beneficial than low protein diets.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2009, 07:08 PM
oh yes and filtered water!!!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys - read about the filtered water, will have to get that sorted for him... and stop him from drinking water out of buckets in the garden!!

Will go down the high quality proteins but try and keep them low quantity and thanks for the links.

Will the carbs help fill him up too? He's hungry all the time.

Next question... I take it this is fine to feed my 4 year old dally too? As dals can be prone to kidney problems, I've always gone down the high quality low quantity proteins anyway (although fed treats too) and to be honest, I have a feeling Eddy has had problems coming on for some time but the Burns has kept it at bay as the vet said it's still not particularly bad.

I figure if I'm making all this food for him, it may be worthwhile feeding T the same? And possibly fight against problems in the future? I can't see how it could harm her.

If I do feed something home made, what supplements would I need to add to it to ensure they weren't lacking anything? I've ordered some Dorwest mixed veg tablets and fenugreek and garlic tablets for Eddy but anything else they should be getting?
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2009, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't feed a healthy dog a kidney diet. Resticting her intake of phosphorus and protein will not prevent kidney disease. Read some of the articals at dogaware to see studies on this.

Also, even feeding the high quality protein and carbs, its still less protein that I would think optimal for a young healthy dog. Thats not to say you can't feed her a home made diet, but maybe her proportions of meat to carbs would be different.

I feed Moxie (30 lbs) 1.5 oz of 80/20 ground beef with 2 oz of no yolk egg noodles, and 1 oz of canned pumpkin (she needs a little extra fiber) and 2 teapsoons of salmon oil and other supplements (probiotics, glucosamine, chondroitin, calcium, etc) Twice daily.

I used the interactive spreadsheet (from the files section of that group I told you about.) to determine how much of what to feed her, it calculates out how much phosphorus, protein, calories, sodium and other important info is in the food you are feeding, so its just as good as a commercial diet, and you will KNOW how much he is getting of the key nutrients
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks! Will take a look at that tonight when I've finished work...