View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

02-04-2005, 06:36 AM

Fussy Eating:

21. Fussy Eating: I am told by countless owners that their dog will not eat dry food or many other types of food and that they will only eat smoked salmon/steak/or best mince etc etc . This is because we actually teach our dogs to be fussy and picky eaters by free feeding. That is leaving down food all day. The dog then comes to the realisation that it can eat at any time and does not fall into a routine.

Free feeding can also have an effect on dominant behaviour; it can give the message to a dominant dog that he could be a pack leader, as he has access to food at any time. To overcome this decide on how many times you will feed per day. If he is over 1 year then this will be either once or twice. Feed the food of your choice not the food of his choice “I am a firm believer in a quality all in one dry food” However If you prefer the more natural diet that is fine as long as you cook the meat. Put this down for ten minutes only, if the dog has eaten it in that time fine, if not pick the food up and put it away. When the next meal is due then only put out amount of food you would normally feed, do not double up.

It may take a few days for the message to get home, but it will in the end. Remember the dog’s dim and distant ancestor is the Wolf. Which is a feast and famine eater; they sometimes go many days or even longer between kills, so your dog will not starve, instinct and survival will take over and the dog will resume eating the food you choose not the food he chooses.

Many people think that it must be boring feeding them the same thing every day. But do not realise that supplementing a quality dry food with tinned or pouched food is quite often the catalyst for the runs. Chopping and changing foods quite often upsets the dogs digestive system. I am sorry to say I am not a fan of most tinned or pouched meats and in some cases these are detrimental to the dog’s behaviour. We also assume that taste is a factor. It isn’t, dogs have only 17% of our taste capacity, lets face it if they can eat there own and other animals faeces which many do, then their choice of taste and quality must be questioned.

Stan