View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I know its an awful thing to say but I feel so much better knowing other people on here get depression because I don't know anybody else with it and nobody in my family understands it either, so its nice to know that I am not not the only one, so thanks everyone
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 12:49 PM
First of all I think you are all really brave to talk about this and nothing anybody has written looks silly. I feel down from time to time but not permanently and am not depressed. Depression is a real illness with real symptoms - and there shouldn't be any stigma attached to it. Sometimes there seems no apparent reason for it.

Depression is a huge problem these days and there are many ways of tackling it. Telling people around you so that they understand your moods is good. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can work. A friend of mine suffered from anxiety - he couldn't give presentations or go on any journeys and this helped him. Antidepressants are an option, depending on how bad the depression is. There has been a lot of controversy over some of them and there are for's and against's this option, but at the end of the day they have saved lives and that is what matters if depression is so bad it is seriously adversely affecting your life.

The first thing to do is get help and discuss the various options with a doctor.

xxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 12:52 PM
And don't forget other causes such as SAD - light boxes can help here.

Exercise therapy can help too.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Have been feeling like this for a while - Vague, is how I feel, having to ask about things, even on here, that really I knew the answer to. Put my Son off visiting too, very tired although I am getting 7 hours sleep a night, teary, etc.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Sweep are you eating properly? B vits are good for the nervous system.

Tut I sound like a health guru.

You probably don't feel up to it but you could try an overhaul of your life - rigid sleep times, good, healthy diet, low alcohol and caffeine, exercise (all those great endorphins), things to make you laugh and smile - videos, good music, beautiful places, people if you're up to it, dogs, Dogweb, whatever you'r e in to.

I know it is so hard, hun, if you feel low you won't want to be bothered with these things anyway. You could try the counselling.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 07:02 PM
my dr told me excercise is a great way to combat depression ..trouble is finding any energy at all is very very hard when your deprssed .
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I know Inca, I understand.

I think maybe progressive exercise might help. Start off with doing a little - a gentle walk in the fresh air, and build it up, bearing in mind there might be times when you just aren't up to it. Or some gentle yoga or pilates is supposed to be good. Not aerobically strenuous but all the stretching can revitalise.

I've heard excellent reports about Tibetan yoga, although I haven't tried it myself.

For me, only a mad aerobic bash helps if I feel stressed or down - running or squash or a hike, but we are all different.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2005, 08:18 PM
well when i was at my worst I didn't even get dressed all day ..and the most excercise i got was putting the coffee on
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Big step today - text my Son to ask if I could visit today, he said yes(surprise) so to get there I have to get a Bus( although only 10-15mins away I don't drive and not walking as its is up hill!) I don't want to go, but feel I should, OH having knee operation in London today and am trying to stay busy!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2005, 08:30 AM
So sorry to hear this.
I think a chat with a professional is called for.

There are organisations where you can get help, information and advice on all matters to do with depression, including run downs of treatment such as antidepressants and cognitive therapy. Not sure if I can post links here so I'll just say the names.

mentalhealth.com
Samaritans
Depression Alliance
Fellowship of Depressives Anonymous

Thare are phone lines and e-mails too.
:smt052
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >