Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
raccoon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:16 AM

Separation/divorce advice

Hey guys! Feel bit cheeky asking for advice but as you are all doggy folk you may understand my predicament a little more!! Basically I'm am spitting with my husband - joint decision, we have quite a few dogs between us, although I will be taking just 5 (still enough I know, at least they are little!). The house is tied with his job, which is why I am the one having to leave and we have no children thankfully. I have been advised to stay put for as long as poss as I will come off better if I do the trouble is it is just getting so horrible living here. One day he is being fine, offering me fuel money if I have to put the dogs somewhere else and so ave to travel to see to them, then in the next breath he is saying he justs wants me to F off out of his life so he can get on with his. He is worried that if he meets someone else before we get divorced, I will try to 'take him' for everything he has - I told him this was rubbish because blame is not laid down anymore when it comes to divorce. I am hoping to speak with a solicitor in the next couple of days but wondered whether anyone could help me with one or two problems...

- Are we best to go for a quick divorce? Am I entitled to half? Am I better off if we do?
- Would we be better going for a deed of separation?
- I need to get my car insured, I'm 25 (female obviously!) but have no no-claims and the car is a HDI 2.0L estate, any ideas to the best companies?

Thank you so much for any advice or just moral support in advance, this is just so horrible

Kate
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Hello Kate
Sorry I cannot give you any legal advice. You really need to consult a solicitor. Give him/her the full story and get professional advice on your rights, now and in the future. With your OH why not implement the tried and tested dog training method - ignore his bad behaviour, be pleasant when he is being reasonable. Not trying to make light of your situation which must be very distressing. But, if push has come to shove then look put for yourself - your physical, mental, and material wellbeing. I do hope that things can be worked out with the least possible stress for you. Please, do get legal advice before you make any decisions.
Best wishes
SB
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Poor you! Im afraid I know nothing about all the legal side, just wanted to offer my support and say regardless of the legal side do what makes you happy money isnt worth being miserable for! Hope everything works out for you!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about this upheaval and how tough things are.

I don't really know much about divorce and you must see a solicitor asap to look after your interests, but try not to get caught up in tit for tat - the only people to benefit here are the solicitors.

I knew one couple - both good jobs, comparable salaries, joint mortgage, one small child - who argued via solicitor letters over a £5 sports bag - their legal bills were huge.

In this event, everything was split evenly because of their circumstances, and the father only had to pay maintenance for the child.

Are you working? Do you rely on your husband for money? This might be taken into account - but I don't know for sure.

Try to keep the peace and not get into verbal warfare while you are there. I know it's hard to do, keeping out of his way, especially when things are so rough in the house, but it won't help matters if there is lots of animosity.

Please get legal advice.
xxx
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 03:16 PM
i can tell you this much if you use legal aid it does not cover property or money possesions
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Sorry about your situation, as everyone else has said don't know the legal side but if life is so miserable no matter how much money is envolved i would be out the door, we know money makes the world go round and there isn't much you can do without it but at the end of the day life is short, you need to learn to stand on your own two feet, as when i split with my other half i found that the hardest part, learning to be self sufficent no matter how much money you get for a settlement, you will still need to stand on your own two feet eventually, good luck hun, i hope everything works out for you and you find happiness.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 07:07 AM
So sorry to read this Kate
cant offer much help as I´m not familar with your legal system.
Only advice I guess I can provide with is, do not "share" legal advice as in having the same lawyer. Even if it is expensive you´re much better with your own as they will look out for whats best for YOU.

Hope you´ll be ok and things will go as smoothly as possible ((hugs))
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
For your sanity - Life's too short, get out!
Legally, who knows? Get professional advise.
deester
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear your situation.

I was in a similar situation 4yrs ago. I found it very hard to live with my husband after we had decided to seperate. You should and will need to see a solicitor, what you will be entitled to will depend on many things, time you've been together, children ect. Just to be warned even if you are entitled to half it is very unusual to come away with half. But that said take what is rightfully yours and don't feel guilty about it as you also have to put a roof over your head.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
so sorry you are going through this kate

when i divorced my hubby it was a little different ,, i didnt want anything from him,, just for him to go away and let me get on with my life,, i got legal advice and made sure i covered my back.
If you want anything from him id say split it straight down the middle and take half otherwise it gets too complicated.
good luck,, dont take any of his crap,, i hope everything works out ok for ya

kimberley x x x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >