Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bengibb
New Member!
Male 

08-08-2017, 01:18 PM

Taking your dog on holiday/plane

Hi,

Can you guys help us out, at the end of September we have a two week holiday booked to Italy we need to know verything involved to be able to take our pet with us?

Thanks for your help
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Bengibb View Post
Hi,

Can you guys help us out, at the end of September we have a two week holiday booked to Italy we need to know verything involved to be able to take our pet with us?

Thanks for your help
My dear wife is from Georgia USA.
We considered going with our dog. He has all the certification required so that's fine. But he would have had to be in a crate which we got for him but the thought of him being in that for a nine hour flight didn't sit well with me. So we didn't.
Bengibb
New Member!
Male 

08-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Yes we would never take him for so long on a plane our trip is less than 2 hours
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Does he have to be in the hold of the plane? It can be very noisy and cold/hot. Other's may be able to help. But for me I don't think it is fair on the dog to be suddenly shut in a space that can be very alien. Can you go by another means of travel? Ferry etc. and train. Google dogs in planes. Lots on the list to read.
Bengibb
New Member!
Male 

09-08-2017, 02:05 PM
We never even thought about train, this is a very good option we will most defrinely look into thank you even tho out flights are booked we would rather him not be in the cargo hold
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Just read that dogs have to wear muzzles in all public places. Not sure if that will apply still today.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/traveling-...-italy-1547555

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/ticket...with-your-pet/

Good Luck with your travels.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Does he have to be in the hold of the plane? It can be very noisy and cold/hot. Other's may be able to help. But for me I don't think it is fair on the dog to be suddenly shut in a space that can be very alien. Can you go by another means of travel? Ferry etc. and train. Google dogs in planes. Lots on the list to read.
Yes, the information we got was that the crate would be in the hold.

We got the biggest crate we could but our dog never really took to it anyway. We gave it to one of my wife's friends who had a Great Dane. At eight months old, it has outgrown that crate............
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Personally i would never subject any dog to travelling in the hold of a plane for however short a period. It would be absolutely terrified even if tranquilised I would have thought and I thought that the hold wasn't pressurised? Much better idea would be to take the ferry and the train.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Personally i would never subject any dog to travelling in the hold of a plane for however short a period. It would be absolutely terrified even if tranquilised I would have thought and I thought that the hold wasn't pressurised? Much better idea would be to take the ferry and the train.
Pressurised and temperature controlled.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Still would never even consider it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >