View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I think garlic is good for the dogs, mine have it twice a week. Once with their meat only day and another day when they have vegetables only, although must admit maybe that is why they have not had fleas since I started them on it - they all brought them in though being recue dogs.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I realise that this is a bit of an old thread, but wondered if anyones thoughts on the use of garlic has changed in light of more recent reports on the damage that garlic can do to dogs?

Here's one of many sites that list is as being toxic and dangerous for dogs
Anything can be dangerous in large quanities and garlic is no exception, however when used sensibly it has several benefits (as have been outlined previously). We give ours either fresh garlic or Garlic and Fenugreek tablets from Dorwest.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I give my garlic either fresh, pureed or tablets and none of our dogs or cats have ever had fleas x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 02:20 PM
We've been converted here for some time...........mine don't suffer with flea's.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I think we're definitely going to give it a try. For the antibiotic benefits mainly.

Although as so many people claim it's good for flea protection we might decide not to treat her with frontline again. She went 8 months without any fleas despite no treatment. We only started her on it as precaution. So I don't think it'd be a big risk stopping it.

I've spent hours searching the internet for all the pro's and cons of using garlic.

The sensible, reasoned arguments against say it's dangerous in large doses and as no one knows what a large dose might be for any given dog it's best to avoid altogether.

The sensible, reasoned arguments for using garlic say that tests have shown that a dog would need to consume very many cloves for it to be toxic. Now sure, a minority of dogs might be especially sensitive to it, but this is true of ALL foods. And it seems that if your dog does have an intolerance you will spot the symptoms, all of which are reversible if you stop giving them garlic.

So I plan to try it for a short while. If I feel she's getting positive benefits from it I'll keep using it and monitor her for signs of intolerance. If I don't see any real benefits I won't take the risk of continuing to give her it - no matter how small that risk might be.
liz08
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I also think garlic is wonderful for dogs (and people as well. So good for so many things..mainly of course tummy, fleas, and ticks. I know of many people who use it to keep their dogs from getting ticks in heavily wooded areas (people take it for the same reason as well). I just crush a garlic tablet and it seems to work fine. Then I have it on hand in case I need it for something as well. My dog hasn't had any fleas or ticks yet either.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by liz08 View Post
I also think garlic is wonderful for dogs (and people as well. So good for so many things..mainly of course tummy, fleas, and ticks. I know of many people who use it to keep their dogs from getting ticks in heavily wooded areas (people take it for the same reason as well). I just crush a garlic tablet and it seems to work fine. Then I have it on hand in case I need it for something as well. My dog hasn't had any fleas or ticks yet either.
Hi Liz can I just point out this is a very old thread .

With regards to garlic, we should remember all plants belonging to the allium family can have an adverse affect on dogs blood so everything in moderation.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2