Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Anyone feed their Border Collies Burns?

HI there,

I am considering moving all my three dogs onto Burns.

I have heard some good reviews about Burns, but some have mentioned that Border Collies don't do well on it and tend to lose weight !

I dont want this happen as I struggle with by 5 year old to keep weight on.

I am considering putting the 5 year old and 12 year old on the adult and transferring the 15 week old pup onto the puppy version.

Question is, what are peoples experiences with this food and do you think it would be ok ?

Many thanks in advance

Rachel
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Similarly, if BC's tend to lose weight on Burns, would this be a good food to change an overweight BC to? (Sorry for asking this in your thread!)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Funnily enough I have a bc who was overweight when we got her.

I switched to burns about 3 months ago (the high oats specifically for weight loss).

In all honesty I have to say that I haven't really noticed any difference. I know that she is getting a reasonable quality food, but in terms of general health, I haven't been able to see any difference.

as a matter of interest, what are you feeding now and why are you thinking of changing?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:37 PM
We had Cassie on Burns for a while and had no problems with it We only changed because she's choosy and preferred Fold Hill
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Dale's been eating Burns adult since he was about 7 months and has done well on it. Our vet isn't keen on puppy food so we changed to adult quite early. He gets a bit more than the bag suggests but his weight is about right and he loves the fish one. We tried chicken and he ate it but with less enthusiasm. I like it because its a good quality food and the protein levels aren't too high and collies have plenty of energy as it is
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:29 PM
. I like it because its a good quality food and the protein levels aren't too high and collies have plenty of energy as it is [/QUOTE]

Thats one of the mail reasons I am considering changing onto it, as the protein levels are what I feel are right for a Border Collie Even the puppy version isn't very high.

Just one more question :

Does what comes out the other appear to be reduced since feeding burns ? As I am hoping that it will reduce the amount of waste ..... three dogs to clean up after and all that ... lol

Thanks for all your replies
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Colley1275 View Post
. I like it because its a good quality food and the protein levels aren't too high and collies have plenty of energy as it is
Thats one of the mail reasons I am considering changing onto it, as the protein levels are what I feel are right for a Border Collie Even the puppy version isn't very high.

Just one more question :

Does what comes out the other appear to be reduced since feeding burns ? As I am hoping that it will reduce the amount of waste ..... three dogs to clean up after and all that ... lol

Thanks for all your replies[/quote]

Errrmmmm...no can't say i noticed the 'quantity' changed much LOL and it still cleared the sinuses on a morning
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Have Border's but no never tried....however read with interest. It seems that all that are on are doing ok
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Our BC is on Burns, does very well on it but is on the slim side, not skinny but if he ate any less...

Really good quality food though.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 09:32 PM
There is a bit less pooh to pick up, though I don't spend too long studying it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >