Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Reeno (CKCS) Fitting

Reeno is nearly 11yr old, hes been on fusemide and Vetmedin for his heart (grade 4ish) hes been on these for 4mth with no problems. About 8 weeks ago he was in the garden and collapsed screaming in pain, not trying to get up then within a minuet he was up and fine (i didnt see this) This happened again about 4weeks later, i went to him he looked at me but couldnt/didnt move, his eyes were just looking right at me. There was no "fitting" movements at all, again he got up after a min and was fine running around the garden and back into the kennels. On watching the CCTV of this he was doing his wee, stood still then just fell to the side.
I mentioned this to the vet when we went for his heart check, i wasnt worried as it only happened twice in 2mth. He said it sounds like a spasem (sp) down his spine that will cause a pain and he will just go down as he was screaming out for a few seconds. We were just told to keep eye on it and record when it happens.
On thursday eve it happened again (i wasnt there) then again this morning but he didnt scream out he just made a little winge. Checking the CCTV he sniffs around the garden then puts his head down, his back legs go all wobbely, he falls over and rolls, his heats is beating so fast, his eyes are large and look dilated. Hes not crying at all. Then slowly gets up and gets on with what he was doing. THEN it happed again this eve. BUT he didnt cry at all, I saw his head go down as if sniffing his back legs go wobbely and he does the same again.
I really dont think its this spasam in his back as he is a real mard with pain, the vet said he would have to be on that high of dose of steroid painkillers to help him as the pain is that bad.

Does anyone have any ideal please??? Im going to call the vets in the morning and talk to his vet, we can put the clips of this happening onto CD for him to see for himself if it helps him.

I really dont want to have to call it a day for Reeno but then i am not letting him suffer at nearly 11 with a dodgy heart how much will he take??
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Is you & your vet aware of the Syringomyelia Symptoms ?

These include:-
  1. excessive scratching, especially at ears, head, face, neck, shoulders (only some SM dogs scratch!)
  2. 'air scratching' (the hind leg makes no body contact, typically when walking the dog)
  3. scoliosis (especially in young dogs), where the dog's neck and spine bend into a 'C'
  4. weakness in the legs
  5. pain, especially around the head, spine and/or legs
  6. sudden yelping for no reason
  7. flipping around to bite at the hindquarters

The onset of symptoms can occur at any age
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi, Yes he knows about SM, he said he doesnt think that it is this, i on the other hand dont know. Reenos 1/2 brother was a typical aor scratcher but i wouldnt like to say he had SM. If Reeno was doing anything else then i would say its poss SM but hes not even crying out now when he does go down. He has non of the symptoms. Well it looks like he does look around at his hindquarters this eve when it happend but then his head went down.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Joedee had three episodes like your boy & he does have SM, he doesn't scratch or any of the other symptoms, however he does have a clear heart(he's 8 1/2). Loukar has SM, but is asymptomatic.Kaycee who died last year, had both a MVD & SM, but all he did was air scratch with his SM.

Treatment will depend on his diagnosis, but SM can only be correctly diagnosed by MRI scan. It is so complex that a dog can have all or non of the symptoms are somewhere inbetween !
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2009, 11:54 PM
HMMM i see what your saying, i had said that if he was younger then id be worried about SM as i didnt think it would take a poss 11yrs to show any signs. I will try and contact his breeder tomorrow if i can find her number and see if she knows of any SM in his lines, i know that doesnt mean anything either way. There is no way i could put him through a scan. If it is SM i thought they didnt like being touched as it caused them pain, or is this only in some dogs???
Also will he just get worse??? I mean 2 "fits" in 8week then 3 in 3days
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Sarah, Sorry to read of Reeno's condition.

I hope the vet can shed some light on this for you tomorrow.

Some of the symptoms you mentioned are similar to what my boy Simba experienced.

He was put on Vetmedim also at the age of 11.

Good Luck with Reeno x

The link may be of interest to you ref EF
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your boy hope the vet can put your mind at rest in the morning i have a cavalier he will be 12 this month he to is on vetmedim good luck xx
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Just an update for you. I spoke to my vet and he is now vewing the CCTV footage of Reenos falls. He wants to go bloods and an ECG the only prob is if he does the ECG and the fall/fit doesnt happen then we wont know anything, failing that he can then fit Reeno with a harness that will trace his heart while he has it on, he will need to wear it for 2-3 days again if it doesnt happen we still wont know anything and its very expensive.
I have been watching the camera this eve while Reeno has been sleeping in the kennel, we have just been out to put the dogs to bed, Reeno fell again in the garden this time it took him alot longer to recover from it. Looking back they only happen 1st thing in the morning or last thing at night when hes been sleeping for a while. If hes been playing/ not sleeping in the kennel then it doesnt seem to happen.
My vet is going to call me in the next 24-48h