Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-03-2005, 12:54 PM

Raw Meat

Taking the advice of many ppl here i have decided to introduce raw meat into my pups diet..i have started with chicken breast which i got from the butchers..what other meat is good and how much should i feed him daily on it?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 01:00 PM
to start with, begin with chicken. So for the first week try feeding him chicken wings, beef and fish. I buy beef trimmings from the butcher which costs £1 for a lb. Once your pup has settles into this you can start introducing other things like like lamb ribs, heart, liver, kidneys, rabbit, chicken carcasses (only 50p for 5 here and butcher cuts em up), ox tail, chicken necks.
two or three times a week u can give him a veggie meal, green veggies and carrots are good, but u must liquidise them first as dogs cant digest the cell walls. Fruit is good also, but apparently u shouldnt feed the seeds, like bith apples, i cut the apple up and liquidise without the seeds. Grapes also shouldnt be fed.
Things like raw eggs, bio yoghurt are also good things to add into the meals.
Basically u can feed nearly anything. We also buy a marrow bone every week, it costs us £1 and the butcher cuts it up into 3.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 01:02 PM
also, when u first start feeding things with bones it, it might be worth holding onto the other end for him so he learns to chew rather than swallow whole.

Every dog is different on amounts, it takes a bit of guess work. If he starts looking a bit fat, then cut down on the amounts, and if he looks a bit skinny, then increase. You'll get the hang of it
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Abbas...

Instead of just taking advice, perhaps it's something you should research on your own? It's a very 2-sided debate, the raw feeding bit, and there's much to learn before you just 'introduce' things. I know from all of your posts that you want the absolute best for your dog and I think you'll find that there's more to it than tossing some chicken in with the bits of puppy food.

You can look up BARF or 'raw feeding' on the 'net and get loads of info. I believe there are also books. You don't have to introduce it right away...take your time...find out what to watch for (incase your dog doesn't do well on the raw food), find out what you can do if your dog becomes ill, find out what to look for to see if it's agreeing with him, etc.

I'm neither for or against BARF. You'll see in the heated debates why I don't feed it. I am for doing all the research you can, on your own, and making an informed decision.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
green veggies and carrots are good, but u must liquidise them first as dogs cant digest the cell walls.
Really??! I didn't know this

I've fed Satchmo raw and cooked veg since he was teeny tiny - he loves gnawing on a raw carrot, or better still, cucumber. I had no idea about the cell wall digestion!! Bad mummy!

Becs
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 01:19 PM
i think cooked veg is ok, as the cell walls are broken down thru cooking?? but obviously they lose their nutrients? however indie gets cooked veg as she wont eat it cold
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Cooking does break down the vegs to make them more digestible but also removes some nutrients.I put mine through a food processor with offal and heart.Or mix it after blitzing with tinned fish.
Raw carrot is fine but most of the nutrients are unaccessible ....however the dogs love the taste and they're good for the teeth.
As for raw meat ...you can feed ANYTHING. A percentage should be RMB...chicken wings,ribs,trotters etc.The only meat I don't feed is turkey because my lot find it a bit rich
Archer
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Mine are fed raw I get it from a place called landywoods. very cheap, good quality already minced if you want minced, and they deliver, http://www.userfriendly-devon.com/landywoods/ I agree do your research, ensure you really want to go down this road, thats what I did, and I am happy with my decision, so are my dogs.

Mo
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-03-2005, 02:47 PM
i dont think i will feed him just raw food i want to give him a mix but more raw than anything else i have been giving him raw/biccys for the last 2weeks he seems to be ok with it i have decided i will still give him milk as he seems to love it and it hasnt caused any probs, i have been giving him boneless chicken as i dont want to introduce bones just yet i feel his baby teeth would have problems! i have not tried any veggies as of yet due to the fact i dont think he will eat them he is a picky eater
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >