Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2015, 03:31 PM

What do you do?

There I was going for a walk with Tyto and coming towards me were two dogs that I know will start by having a go, so I moved to one side so that I would be away from them. Couldn't cross the road as it would have been dangerous, so as they passed yep they started and pulled towards me, so I put Tyto behind me which thankfully he does but not so that he is in danger of the road, at the same time I said, Can't you control them, in a very quiet voice. Hm should have kept my mouth firmly closed as the reply was not lady like. Oh well I will make sure I have a way of getting round them if I see them again. Which is likely as they live down the road from me. So what would your reaction be?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
and coming towards me were two dogs that I know will start by having a go.............................So what would your reaction be?
I assume because of the road traffic the two dogs were on lead

I don't know what you could have done better Brenda. Why do you think these two dogs always 'have a go'

If you were to meet them miles from any traffic and off lead what do you think they would do

I am interested in your thoughts because I am comming to the view that all dogs (Except Army / Police and those abused and beaten) want to join up with other dogs and make a larger pack.

It's only a kind of 'theory' and I wll never have the time to research it.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2015, 09:24 PM
They were on lead today but sometimes not. They are a real problem on or off lead. Forgot to say that their previous dog was just as bad.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I have to have eyes at the back of my head Brenda, and if I see anyone anywhere that I know is going to cause grief, I either to a sharp left or right, or cross the road,which you couldn't do because of course the dogs were near to you, which is why I am 3 or 4 steps ahead of the game if at all possible. Maybe turn round back the way you came till you could get out of the way.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2015, 09:35 PM
I do usually but it was to late to do anything. Never mind I will just have to plan my route better. Makes me cross though when it is always down to me to care because others can't or won't control their dogs.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-11-2015, 09:39 PM
I know Brenda, I'm the same, if it comes down to it I do a swift about turn and walk very quickly away and find somewhere to get out of the way
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2015, 01:21 AM
I've got to say... Saying "Can't you control them??" is condescending and will evoke a rude response from most people struggling with their dog. If you care so much, its best to be gentle about it. Maybe make light of it and then suggest a no pull harness or something that may help. Surely you weren't wrong for saying what you said, but the way you said it was likely why she reacted in the way she did.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-11-2015, 01:54 AM
You most likely handled it better than I would have, though I'm kind of a very blunt person.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2015, 06:44 AM
The problem was she wasn't struggling she allowed them to do it. Never mind I get used to it. I suppose because I train others I hope that others will do the same. Some hope I know. Knowing this person I shouldn't really have expected anything else. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2015, 08:51 AM
I used to walk my dogs 3 Boxers to collect my dog paper. Every time we passed a house this small dog would shoot out and rush at my boys barking it's head off. They just looked at it and carried on walking. Owner thought it really funny as did passers by. I just kept walking and told my boys in a loud voice how clever they were.

Then one day the dog failed to appear I didn't enquire but as the road I was walking was the main high street in our town and a route to M9 I did wonder if it had had a near squeak or something worse
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >