Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 10:56 PM

Supplement

Hi, just a quick question... Archie has had itchy back legs since we got him, it got slightly better when we changed his diet but he's still itching much more than he should. As I gave him tuna with his food quite recently I thought this might help, and it did temporarily, but he's itching again now!

I read in a book I have on fox terriers that milk of magnesia helps this, does anyone know which dosage I should give him? He's almost 10 weeks now.. I think I also reado somewhere that you can give them cod liver oil, I saw some cod liver oil mixed with garlic tabs today, but again I don't know the correct dosage and wouldn't want to go overboard.

Just to update on the bladder problem, he's doing better, has slept all day, and I gave him some yoghurt about 30min ago cos of the antibiotics, he LOVED it!!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi Tuti...

I had a dog with a staph infection and another that had severely dry skin due to living outside on hay for the first couple years of his life. When I took each to get their initial vetting after being rescued, the vet recommended a teaspoon of Safflower Oil in each meal. It really did the trick and I continue it with all of mine (funny skin or not) to this day.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm pleased to hear that your little one is feeling better. My dogs love yoghurt too and they get it quite regularly

I think that it is recommended to give fish BODY oil rather than fish liver oil. The rationale is that the liver can store toxins which processing does not completely get rid of. You could try giving Archie sardines which are an oily fish. I also give mine a few drops of cold-pressed flaxseed oil every day. Can't help with the Milk of M question, sorry.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

30-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Yes S/B is right, its fish body oil thats recommended. The prob with cod liver oil is it contains vit A & dogs can overdose on this. It depends what sort of diet he`s being fed really, as to know which supps he should have
If you are thinking of using tinned sardines, check the tin as what oil they`re in as I believe some tinned fish has the natural oils taken out & then they`re packed in another oil, such as sunflower. I know this happens with tuna fish
Don`t know about milk of magnesium, always thought that was for upset tum?
Christine.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:01 AM
It's lucky I have you guys to advise me - I was almost sure that cod liver oil was the thing to give him! I just thought I'd better check here first and I'm glad I did

"Itching

Milk of Magnesia (tablets or liquid) cools the blood, cleans the system and cures tummy upsets and bad breath" - Chads, Diana, Fox Terrier, World of Dogs Series
Carole
Supervisor

30-03-2005, 09:07 AM
I have given milk of magnesia to Star when she has had an upset tummy but only then and not all the time.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Just wanted to add that if a dog is fed on complete then it shouldnt really need supplements????

Itching can be for any number of reasons not just dietary and can even be for contact reasons.I wouldnt mess about with too many supplements at a young age
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I believe if you give vit e this helps the body eliminate any toxins from the body that CLO may hold,

Mo
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 12:16 PM
tuti what are u feeding him on?

is the skin red? if it is, it might be worth getting the vet to have a look
Meg
Supervisor

30-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Tuti just a thought.you know the cat that comes to your house ? Does it have fleas? Even though Archie may be flea treated a cat flea might still have a bite of Archies leg and irritate him then go off and die I would be very carefull about adding medicines of any sort or suppliments to his diet, though as the others say FBO and some of the other natural oils are good, if you are feeding a complete food do not be afraid to ask the manufacturers about any problems they will be happy to advise. You mentioned coloured chews the other day? I would steer clear of anything with artifical colours, they are not necessary and I can bear witness to the havoc I have seen them cause in children.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >