Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hal's could - sufficient to ruddy well hurt AND ladder I dread to think how many pairs of tights until we managed to train him not to jump up. He would jump up at you, put his front legs (with dew claws) firmly round my waist and jump up and down trying to get a grip with his rear dew claws.
How could you possibly know that Hal was trying to grip you with his dew claws? His normal nails would have laddered your tights believe me my dogs have done that without rear dew claws.The action of Hal jumping up has nothing to do with his rear dew claws as dogs without them would jump up and down on their back legs, nothing to do with trying to grip you with rear dew claws.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
its the claw catching you...floppy dew claws are attached by skin..explain how they would move to 'grip you' please.....
No, it was clear he was trying to get a grip with his rear dew claws - watch a wildlife film of big cats bringing down prey and you will see what I mean, it is impossible to describe it in words.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
How could you possibly know that Hal was trying to grip you with his dew claws? His normal nails would have laddered your tights believe me my dogs have done that without rear dew claws.The action of Hal jumping up has nothing to do with his rear dew claws as dogs without them would jump up and down on their back legs, nothing to do with trying to grip you with rear dew claws.
Because I was there ... because I am not blind, neither am I stupid, despite what you might think

It is impossible to describe in words but he jump up and down on his back legs whilst gripping me round the waist with his front legs and bring the back legs up with the very clear intention of gripping me. It was extremely painful and extremely costly, and it was something we stopped him doing pdq.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I know cats have front dew claws - I was not aware they had rear ones?
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, it was clear he was trying to get a grip with his rear dew claws - watch a wildlife film of big cats bringing down prey and you will see what I mean, it is impossible to describe it in words.
I believe wild cats as in tigers and lions do not have rear dew claws, but just use their normal back claws to bring down prey. I was recently reading about a lion that had a rear dew claw and it was classed as an abnormality. If I am wrong I will apologize. I am just trying to picture how your dog had his front paws around your waist and obviously his head would have been at the same height as yours and yet you could still see his rear dew claws. The mind boggles.
Ashleygadd1995
New Member!
Female 

07-04-2013, 03:58 PM
My little puppy (Pure American Staffy) was born premature and has front and back songle dewclaws. I took her to the vet and it was because she was so premie.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 06:20 PM
My puppy Nigredo has double dews on both back feet. He does not seem to be able to move them, but they are bony little appendages.. real toes. This is why my vet didn't suggest removing them. He'd have to remove all the bones and it would be much more complicated than normal rear dewclaw removal.

It's ridiculous to remove the toes if they don't cause the dog any harm. Nigredo's back claws are worthless little things, but there's no point in removing them. If they begin catching on things (not likely) then I'll have them removed.. until then.. let him keep the cuties.

anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 08:48 PM
my husky has front and rear, firmly attached, the claw causes problem it grows quickly but the blood vessell grows very long as well, so each time it bleeds and hurts him, if i could remove them i would
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by anonymousone View Post
my husky has front and rear, firmly attached, the claw causes problem it grows quickly but the blood vessell grows very long as well, so each time it bleeds and hurts him, if i could remove them i would
sorry mean when the vet cuts the claw they bleed.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Timber has rear dewclaws and never had an issue with them even when crashing through the brush at warp speed. His are attached though not floppy. I wonder if that makes any difference in the dangers of getting it snagged.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8