Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
Hello Gnasher

It has nothing to do with the position of the harness. I was unwilling to risk my boy's rear dew claws locking on the trail and him ripping them open/off. He has a fantastic working ethic and I wanted to keep it that way and not let him have a negative painful experience. There is a world of difference between a dog running alongside a bike say, and a focused sled dog on the trail.

Hope Tai and Ben are doing ok.

Take good care.

Seoniad.
Thank you darling for taking the time and trouble to explain that to me, instead of taking the p out of me for my ignorance. Sounds more than reasonable to me.

Tai and Ben are just fantastic, thanx for asking. Ben still leaps on me every morning in bed and licks me furiously whilst Tai assaults me from the floor, and the bond they have now is just lovely to see. Ben's recall and general obedience is excellent and all round we are very pleased with him.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No of course I don't ... why the mocking laughter? Have I ever claimed to know anything about working sled dogs in harness? I fail to see what is funny about someone not knowing something and asking some questions.

As for last paragraph, again I roll my eyes to the heavens and say how on earth can you possibly say that you don't believe me and that you don't believe it to be possible. I thought you were an ex veterinary nurse ... as such you should know what the purpose of the dew claws was
as for mocking.. no i wasnt, i found it funny..thought u had a sense of humour,i now realise u are holding grudges so wont bother being lighthearted with u again.

as for what dew claws are for..yes i do know thanks..do u? rear dewclaws are for nothing and do not move independently to grip anything,they are not even in the right position to do what u say and thats even if they are attached like the front ones.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
as for mocking.. no i wasnt, i found it funny..thought u had a sense of humour,i now realise u are holding grudges so wont bother being lighthearted with u again.

as for what dew claws are for..yes i do know thanks..do u? rear dewclaws are for nothing and do not move independently to grip anything,they are not even in the right position to do what u say and thats even if they are attached like the front ones.
I do have an exceptionally good sense of humour, thanx, and no, I am not holding a grudge, I don't do that. I have a very self-deprecating attitude towards myself and frequently will mock myself, as you very well know.

Clearly, you do not know the biological function of dew claws so let me enlighten you. Dew claws are vestigial toes and are used by dogs and cats in the wild as an aid to hunting by "hooking" them into their prey as an extra aid to bringing the prey down. They also aid cornering at high speed which is fascinating, because I don't understand quite how this works at all.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
They also aid cornering at high speed which is fascinating, because I don't understand quite how this works at all.
Probably because that refers to front dew claws, whereas no wild canid or felid I can think of has vesitigial hind claws.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Clearly, you do not know the biological function of dew claws so let me enlighten you. Dew claws are vestigial toes and are used by dogs and cats in the wild as an aid to hunting by "hooking" them into their prey as an extra aid to bringing the prey down. They also aid cornering at high speed which is fascinating, because I don't understand quite how this works at all.
I think we have already established that wild canids do NOT possess rear dew claws. Even the African Wild Dogs do not possess hind dew claws (they do not even have FRONT dewclaws) and they do a LOT of hunting. Neither do Wolves, coyotes, jackals, dingoes etc.

Domesticated dogs, whether feral or not, HAVE them because WE have interfered with their genetics.

Feral dogs do not usually hunt, they scavenge so have no need of the either.

Could you please reference where your information comes from, as all my studies of canids appear to be at odds to your claims.

Thank you.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Probably because that refers to front dew claws, whereas no wild canid or felid I can think of has vesitigial hind claws.
Thanks, that makes more sense.

Wolves do not have dew claws, but tigers and other big cats do.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:46 PM
well put SB and MM thanks i didnt want to seem like i was mocking
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
No, they are born with those "bunch of keys" on their hind leg, so leave well alone is my motto. Wolves indeed are not born with dew claws, but dogs are. I don't see the need or the point at all in removing them. I knew a girl at school who had a 6th finger ... thankfully no doctor deemed it a good idea to chop it off!! (slightly different I know, as a dew claw does not have a bony element to it, but I just don't like the random removal of our dog's bits and pieces just because we don't like them).
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
floppy hind dew claws serve no purpose! dew claws are for turning!...in a highly active agile breed like my sibe i choose to remove them when and if he has a GA for anything else,
they are not attached like front dew claws so its not a biggy imo anyway to remove them..
Not always the case I think you will find, my Northern Inuit Dita has firmly attached, fully boned rear dew claws.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Not always the case I think you will find, my Northern Inuit Dita has firmly attached, fully boned rear dew claws.
How interesting, I've only ever seen the floppy ones angelmist. Does Dita ever have problems with them?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:53 AM
"as for what dew claws are for..yes i do know thanks..do u? rear dewclaws are for nothing and do not move independently to grip anything,they are not even in the right position to do what u say and thats even if they are attached like the front ones."

It is customary when one is wrong to acknowledge that fact Tupacs
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »