Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Feeding raw and complete foods

As some of you are aware, Roxy has just had a second malignant Mast Cell Tumour removed in a year.

I'm aware that her cancer is most likely genetic, but surely environmental influences play a part in it's development as well. I'm not a vet nor a scientist though. We don't know anything about Roxy's breeding with her being a rescue of unknown origins.

I know I probably won't be able to stop another tumour developing, but if I can help give her a fighting chance to beat it again then I will. I have to try.

I'm a bit confused as what exactly to feed her. I plan to change Molly over as well.

Do any of you feed both raw and complete?

At the moment they get turkey and rice senior JWB, with Naturediet, Nature's Menu, etc mixed through, plus fish4dog treats etc. That's mainly their diet, give or take.

I plan to put her on to a mostly grain free dry diet - I have some Acana to try. Plan to give them this in the evenings with some Fishmongers salmon/white fish and potato, Nature's Menu, Nature's Harvest or Naturediet. I'm thinking about feeding this in the evenings like I do with the dry and moist just now.

Also plan to still include tinnes sardines, mackeral, home cooked chicken and so on like I do at the moment.

In the morning I'm thinking of giving them raw - whether it be minced meat or otherwise. Natural Instinct, Prize Choice and Natures Menu.

My head is still all over the place with regards as to what to do so any input/helpful advice would be welcome. Thank you.

What do to for the best, eh?
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I feed raw and complete to my two dogs,not in the same meal though but lots of people do.

Mine have a tray of nature diet each in the morning for breakfast, I rotate with the different flavours, they love them all.

Then at tea time they have a raw meal, which I ensure is balanced over the week, which consists of anything, such as minced meats with bone in, chicken carcasses, beef chunks, eggs, sardines, yoghurt etc.

My supplier of raw meat supplies nature diet too so I can include it in my order and as it's £50 or over it's free delivery. I can't feed them just on raw food as my freezer isn't big enough and to be honest I like feeding them this way and they seem healthy and happy.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I feed our two Nature's Menu - Jasper has the frozen nuggets and Jake has the pouches. I rotate the flavours and they love it.

This seemed the best option for us - the dogs are getting heathy food and I don't have to worry about getting the percentages/balance correct.
JTVN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2013, 10:10 PM
If you go to the Phytopet site and look at Caisse Mix Plus
it may be of interest to you.

I have used their Immune Plus for an auto immune problem and although it hasn't completely resolved it, it certainly has helped.
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2013, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
As some of you are aware, Roxy has just had a second malignant Mast Cell Tumour removed in a year.

I'm aware that her cancer is most likely genetic, but surely environmental influences play a part in it's development as well. I'm not a vet nor a scientist though. We don't know anything about Roxy's breeding with her being a rescue of unknown origins.

I know I probably won't be able to stop another tumour developing, but if I can help give her a fighting chance to beat it again then I will. I have to try.

I'm a bit confused as what exactly to feed her. I plan to change Molly over as well.

Do any of you feed both raw and complete?

At the moment they get turkey and rice senior JWB, with Naturediet, Nature's Menu, etc mixed through, plus fish4dog treats etc. That's mainly their diet, give or take.

I plan to put her on to a mostly grain free dry diet - I have some Acana to try. Plan to give them this in the evenings with some Fishmongers salmon/white fish and potato, Nature's Menu, Nature's Harvest or Naturediet. I'm thinking about feeding this in the evenings like I do with the dry and moist just now.

Also plan to still include tinnes sardines, mackeral, home cooked chicken and so on like I do at the moment.

In the morning I'm thinking of giving them raw - whether it be minced meat or otherwise. Natural Instinct, Prize Choice and Natures Menu.

My head is still all over the place with regards as to what to do so any input/helpful advice would be welcome. Thank you.

What do to for the best, eh?
Hello Westie_N,
You have the right idea.
If feeding Natures Menu, make sure it's not the pouches, all contain rice.
Both their Raw Complete and Balanced Meals and Nuggets have ones that contain rice, make sure it's grain-free.

Natural Instinct is excellent.

Acana is a good kibble and so is Orijen, both made by Champion Pet Foods in Alberta, Canada.
Remember, a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet is much better than kibble.

Kodimeg is feeding a good diet.
Good luck, Roger Biduk
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
I feed raw and complete to my two dogs,not in the same meal though but lots of people do.

Mine have a tray of nature diet each in the morning for breakfast, I rotate with the different flavours, they love them all.

Then at tea time they have a raw meal, which I ensure is balanced over the week, which consists of anything, such as minced meats with bone in, chicken carcasses, beef chunks, eggs, sardines, yoghurt etc.

My supplier of raw meat supplies nature diet too so I can include it in my order and as it's £50 or over it's free delivery. I can't feed them just on raw food as my freezer isn't big enough and to be honest I like feeding them this way and they seem healthy and happy.
who is your supplier in UK? do they deliver nationwide?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Well both dogs have been enjoying minced chicken for the past few weeks for their breakfast, along with a couple of Natures Menu fruit and veg nuggets mixed through. They're loving it and, so far, no fall out.

Introced lamb mince a couple of days ago and still ok.

Giving moist food and dry together in the evenings, with their supplements.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2013, 10:07 AM
I started off doing one meal of complete and one of raw...then wondered why I was doing it; since I clearly thought raw was the better option, why wasn't I just feeding all raw? So I switched over completely.

I didn't like to mix the two in the same meal, but they did just fine on having the two types of food at different meals. Their poos and farts were always better from the raw meal though
Ailey
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I've fed raw to all my dogs and both my cats for the past four years+
Violet and Mauser (see my intro) have only ever had raw as have both my two cats. My rescue terrier Iris was initially horrified when I offered her a share of a whole warm baby bunny that my old bitch (RIP) had caught but now she is the most voracious of them all and will eat ANYthing.
I did buy a bag of Taste of the Wild for emergency but tbh I have only ever used this as training treats for the two little dogs.
I buy (from thedogfoodcompany.co.uk) minced green tripe, chicken with bone and chicken carcasses & wings and get given rabbits and pigeon (cats love it but dogs not so keen - except Iris!), I also feed a lot of road kill (I have a BIG freezer) such as squirrel, rabbit, hare, pheasant and venison. Plus I get lambs and calves from neighbouring farmers. As far as I can I try and feed the whole carcass, they also occasionally get eggs with the shell and I make my own training treats for the Mali (full of organic meat, garlic and spices) as I'm using a lot for her and TOTW nuggets are too small and dry!
They all do really well, are lean and active, have soft sweet smelling coats, fresh breath and gleaming teeth.
I also use herbal worming and tick/flea repellants and generally avoid, as far as possible, putting any kind of poisons or pharmaceutical drugs on or into them including vaccinations.
I give some supplements like kelp, turmeric, black cumin (both good for fighting cancer) coconut oil and flax oil but not in a rigid regime, it's easy to add these to a bowl of mince but not so easy when I chuck them a lump of meat and bone. I add organic cider vinegar to their water bowls and always added to elderly animals food to help with joints/arthritis.
I have lost dogs to cancer in the past and feel sure now that it was diet related. None of my current animals have needed any vet treatment.
This is a useful site and gives good advice on nutrition - http://dogcanceradvice.com
Good luck with Roxy - cancer can be beaten.