View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
But like you say all dogs are different.

Takara would not cross the road for a squirrel (although a cat could be a different story!)

But she has got out of the park gate and across the road to greet a friend of mine that she recognised.

It's whatever floats their boat I suppose!
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-07-2009, 08:39 PM
We had a collie cross that would walk in front of us, but when ever she came to a road would just sit and wait till we caught up, never ever tried to cross till told to do so, even so we would only allow this on the roads around the estate, when we took her to town she would have to be on a lead. My present two dogs wouldn't dare let them off the lead any where near a road.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
We had a collie cross that would walk in front of us, but when ever she came to a road would just sit and wait till we caught up, never ever tried to cross till told to do so, even so we would only allow this on the roads around the estate, when we took her to town she would have to be on a lead. My present two dogs wouldn't dare let them off the lead any where near a road.
sam was the same (and also a collie cross ), he always stayed close to us and if in he ever thought he lost us he would panic so on the roads he would never run off.

im going to teach jake to sit at roads and not cross until told but i wont be letting him off the lead coz he loves to chase everything so he is a dog i wouldnt trust off lead on a road. sam, however, was very different lol
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 02:08 PM
My dogs have been trained not to step onto the road unless allowed to and they automatically stop at kerbs. If they happen to step out without my say so they get chastised. I never walk them off lead on the pavement and I dont think they truly hav road sense.

I once saw a dog taking itself for a walk and it stopped at a pedestrian crossing, waited for the cars to stop and then crossed. I'll never forget that!
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t really understand why you`d want to. Since dogs don`t read the Highway Code they need to be on lead around traffic.
I wouldn't suggest anyone do it so they can purposfully walk their dog off lead around traffic but surely teaching some modicom of road sense can only be a good thing for those unforseen, unlikely, but perfectly possible circumstances - like you fainting for instance.

If you have to walk your dog in traffic a lot then don't see why you wouldn't.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2