register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Did your rescue come with issues?
Yes, severe issues that have taken a while to work on.. 18 42.86%
Yes, but they were fairly easily resolved 13 30.95%
No, no problems 11 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Of the current lot:
Daisy - yes. Took 3 years to address aggression
Shamus - no, not really. He was a bit nervous about un-neutered males and drunk blokes but then so am I
Razzle - just needed somewhere to hide and tremble. Not sure I would call that an issue?
Prince - a typical ill mannered teenager. Fairly normal for his age and lack of training so not really.

If anyone thinks that getting dog from a breeder guarantees a dog with no issues I`m afraid they`re in for a rude awakening btw.

I haven`t voted since I have such a range.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
The stereotype of rescues having issues as an inevitability is just trotted out by people looking for any excuse not to have to lower themselves to a second-hand dog. Those people who line up their next dog like you or I would line up a new pair of shoes - only instead of "I'd like to try a pair of Addidas next" it's "Oh I'll try that chi over there."

The dogs I know of who have behavioural issues and are aggressive, overexcitable, sit there in class chewing their leads and disrupting everything... all from breeders. But we don't talk about those ones because they must be perfect right? Or we chalk it down to a "bad breeder" because we can't tar breeder bought dogs en-masse.

Yet it's perfectly ok to trott out that lie again and again and again that all rescue dogs are problem dogs and I won't let that label be laid on perfectly normal well-behaved animals that got failed by their humans.

This thread was only out of interest to see statistically how many rescue dogs actually did come with issues, and how hard they have been to tackle if so.

From the poll it is clear it is not inevitable for dogs to have issues at all... But I do think, in terms of general public perception, people do expect rescues to be more trouble. And why not... they have been passed from pillar to post often without much training and so it is expected that they require some work, just as any puppy does.

From my experience with Kestral, I know first hand that having a dog from a great breeder does in no way guarantee the behavior or temperament of the dog..
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
all mine had issues to some degree, thats why they stayed here rather than being rehomed, i have however fostered over 50 with no issues that went on to have no issues in their new home, only one has been returned and that was for chasing sheep, not something i can test for.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
All three of the dogs that we have taken on from rehoming centres have had issues, but it would take up too much space to relate it all here, so I will just stick to the latest one, Jimmi!

He was brought over from Ireland, and is probably in his early teens (so hard to tell really, and he isn't telling ). Although he clearly was used to being in a house - headed straight for the nearest sofa to curl up and go to sleep - he gave every impression of never having been house trained in his life. He was also extremely dog aggressive and every walk was a complete nightmare. Also, and this is the opposite problem to that which many people face, we think that he probably came from a loving home, and possibly that home possessed a rattly trailer. For many months, if we were out and he heard one of these no matter how distant, he would stand and stare with his head up and ears pricked for absolutely ages. If one went past us, then he would try to hurtle after it. It broke my heart to be honest, but he has totally forgotten about all that now. He also adores children, and when the grandsproglet is here he just glues himself to him, so perhaps he was brought up in a family.

We cured the dog aggression, and also the house soiling, quite quickly really, but some of his medical issues will remain with him for the rest of his life.

Given that this little chap is such a keen hunter (we can never let him offlead on walks), we believe that he may have got himself stuck down a hole and then when he re-emerged as a skeleton with ears crammed full of earth his owners had given up looking for him and he became a stray. Mind you, you would think that he might have found his own way home if it was close by? Who knows.

He is the sweetest and most loving little dog that we have ever had.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Craven my private rehome,who was approx 1 year old when got him had had 4 previous homes before mine.
I have not had any issues with him,apart from his recall,which is more of a breed thing than a rescue issue.

Flint who I got from a rescue 9 days ago also has no issues at all (yet).He is approx 4/5 years old.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I have had both ends of the spectrum.

Sharna was my first "own" dog and was 18 months when I rehomed her. She had had a number of homes and also been a latchkey dog prior to being donated to the police, who assessed but rejected her for police work. I actually believe she came with issues that I would now be able to sort out over time, but back then I was obsessed with dogs but had never owned my own until then and I was a bit overwhelmed and out of my depth (that is clear looking back now). If love alone could have sorted her problems out, then she'd have been the best behaved dog ever , but I actually think it was my love for her that contributed to her behaviour. Anyhow, her most difficult behaviours were her fear aggression (to people and other dogs) and her high prey drive - she chased anything that moved quickly - livestock, cyclists, joggers etc and would nip. I tried very hard to work on her problems over the years and did iron out some of her issues, but never really turned her around I learned an awful lot from her but feel I failed her in the end

I have also had a rehomed border collie, Rip, (he was a working sheepdog whose shepherd owner died suddenly). He has been an absolute dream and is the best behaved of all my dogs - even the ones I have had from a pup. I can't fault his behaviour in any way whatsoever
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I got Jessie when she was approaching 3, that was over 3 years ago now.

I've opted for no issues because, other than a few things such as noise sensitivity which many dogs have, she is pretty much perfect. I believe she was treated harshly in her other home because when I first got her, i'd raise my hand to throw a stick and she'd hit the deck and cower. She trusts me enough now to know that I would never harm her but there are still occassions where she'll get spooked by sudden movement or a raised voice or become timid in certain siuations.

However, she's 100% trustworthy with people, including children, and would never dream of showing any aggression. She's great with other dogs (generally ignores them), doesnt chase cats, is 100% with livestock and is the kind of dog you can take out and have no stress because she's so well behaved. She doesnt chew, isnt noisy, has fantastic recall and manners.

I cant praise my rescue dog enough, she's fantastic and anybody who knows her will no doubt agree she's a little sweetheart.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Rupert came with more baggage than an international airport However, he has taught me a hell of a lot more than a problem free dog would have.

Rupe's fear issues were so extensive that I basically had to choose the one I could least live with, resolve that first, move on to the next. We're still working through the list 7 years later.

He learned the joys of sheep worrying before I got him and absolutely can NOT be trusted around any livestock. He'd also learned to kill and eat other animals and so far we've failed at breaking this habit. Unfortunately it means he's pretty much restricted to life on a long line as once he sees prey his recall is completely gone. We live near a motorway and are in deer country so no way I'm risking it. Before this we were surrounded by sheep.

And don't even get me started on his lack of manners, inability to concentrate for more than a second or two and the lack of bite inhibition. I've been rolled down hills into ditches, dragged off my feet, jumped on, bitten, swung around by whatever body part he could grab on to and all sorts. Not really behavioural issues as such but I imagine many would have returned him for those crimes.
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
The rescues that we had all arrived as puppies. Mum had a mongrel from battersea who was pregnant but no one realised. She thought it was great that her skinny dog was putting on weight until 9 puppies turned up! That was in the 70's so I think they're a bit more on the ball now..Fluffy (who wasn't actually very fluffy) was a gorgeous crossbreed who looked a bit like an Australian Shepherd and she was very tolerant of me when I came along and I was a very annoying child. Then we had Bonnie, a cross border collie, who was the smartest dog in the world and had a beautiful nature. Suki then turned up, puppy Japanese spitz, another rescue who was initially meant to be a foster but I couldn't part with her. Mum fostered a variety of dogs all of whom were lovely. However, we tended to get dogs that were turfed out because the owner had a new boyfriend and the dog didn't like him (I'd get rid of the bloke, not the dog) or thoughtless people like the student who bought a puppy then left it locked in a bedsit all day while she was at lectures then wondered why it howled and barked all the time. The worst case we had was Lucky (oh the irony of that name) who was left in a back garden day and night, rain or shine with no shelter, walks or cuddles and not enough food. But still, he was a darling dog. These dogs weren't too damaged by their idiot owners but there are some appalling cases out there who are. It's no wonder that some dogs do have issues.

I know that getting a particular breed of dog doesn't guarantee anything and I was probably being overprotective by dismissing rescues but I also do like labs and I'm not going to apologise for that. I was keeping an eye on greyhound rescue in particular but I came to the conclusion that retired racers probably wouldn't appreciate bouncy kids! I will rescue a dog one day though.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:58 PM
All my rescues have had issue and still do to some degree. I like to take on dogs that nobody else wants for some reason or another.
Jenny was the worst. She had dreadful separation anxiety and trashed several items that we had in the house. She was also very fear aggressive and still is to some degree but is now a lot better and it's controllable. She was a battered dog who'd had 3 homes before we got her.
Danny was also a mistreated dog and has much deeper issues, such as fear of being hit. He still has it now and we've had him for 4 years.
Poppy is more rounded but she seems to have been hit too at some point as she was quite nervous at first. She still soils in the house given the opportunity!
Coco..also been mistreated we feel as she cowered when we first got her. She's ok now though and quite the opposite!
Guinness we thought was ok at first but he had terrible separation anxiety too. This is now much better but he will whinge a bit when left.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >