Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2016, 12:48 PM
It's simply called training.

The way we opt to train is our choice - the dog doesn't have a say.

Thankfully, the trend here at least is fast moving to positive methods with the binning of shock collars, choke chains and the like. Just as effective and my strong suspicion is that our dogs prefer our choice
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Same.

I've called my dog off plenty of wildlife with no more than my voice. Even when a deer came crashing out of the woods and she started to take off after it, as soon as I called "Stop!" she stopped and then she came right back to me when I called her. No shock needed.
I have never called my dogs back from an animal with a shock, the beeper or vibrator works just fine, and I can use the beeper to trail her myself if I choose. Furthermore my dogs always come back on their own without being called in the first place, it's what they do. Can you show us some photos of your dogs trailing deer? I bet not, I can and here is one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279...in/dateposted/ See talk is cheap, but a photo is priceless, so dream on.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-05-2016, 06:35 AM
To be fair that photo does not show your dog coming back.
A bit foolish with the words.
You say tailing deer that photo could be it chasing deer getting into the zone and chasing the deer.

Furthermore my dogs always come back on their own without being called in the first place, it's what they do. Can you show us some photos of your dogs trailing deer? I bet not, I can and here is one.
See talk is cheap, but a photo is priceless, so dream on.

Yes talk is cheap and your talk is as cheap as you are accusing our longstanding knowledgeable member of.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2016, 08:52 AM
The photograph actually looks to show a dog that looks to be picking up speed to chase the deer and proves nothing
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Nicky Ann - I am the only person to my knowledge here on Dogsey that has the bollocks to admit to the use of an e-collar - I know of several members who have in the past and/or still do, but they are too terrified to confess because they fear the Sword of Damocles descending upon their heads!!

I have an Alaskan Malamute wolf cross, Ben, now aged 11, whom we trained to recall via the use of an e-collar. That was several years ago. He now still wears his e-collar on his daily walks, but it is a long, long time since we have had to shock him - we shocked him less than 5 times in total to achieve an excellent recall, not bad considering his breeding. Here in the UK it is strongly advised to NEVER allow Mals or Huskies off lead because of their lack of recall, but we considered this to be extremely cruel and having tried all other known routes, including consulting 2 behaviourists, we tried an e-collar and have never looked back.

Very occasionally, OH has to vibrate the collar when he has taken off through the rape after a deer, but this is sufficient to bring him straight back.

There is a lot of nonsense talked about e-collars by ignorant people who have never used them or seen them in action. In the right hands - and I mean the RIGHT hands, in the wrong hands they could indeed do immense harm and damage - but in a well-trained, well-researched pair of hands the e-collar has enabled my Ben to be let off leash reliably and safely.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Nicky Ann - I am the only person to my knowledge here on Dogsey that has the bollocks to admit to the use of an e-collar - I know of several members who have in the past and/or still do, but they are too terrified to confess because they fear the Sword of Damocles descending upon their heads!!

I have an Alaskan Malamute wolf cross, Ben, now aged 11, whom we trained to recall via the use of an e-collar. That was several years ago. He now still wears his e-collar on his daily walks, but it is a long, long time since we have had to shock him - we shocked him less than 5 times in total to achieve an excellent recall, not bad considering his breeding. Here in the UK it is strongly advised to NEVER allow Mals or Huskies off lead because of their lack of recall, but we considered this to be extremely cruel and having tried all other known routes, including consulting 2 behaviourists, we tried an e-collar and have never looked back.

Very occasionally, OH has to vibrate the collar when he has taken off through the rape after a deer, but this is sufficient to bring him straight back.

There is a lot of nonsense talked about e-collars by ignorant people who have never used them or seen them in action. In the right hands - and I mean the RIGHT hands, in the wrong hands they could indeed do immense harm and damage - but in a well-trained, well-researched pair of hands the e-collar has enabled my Ben to be let off leash reliably and safely.
Thanks, my collars both have multiple functions, a loud beep, a loud on point beep, a soft tone for positive reinforcement, a shock free vibrate function and the shock. The people that are against these are actually jealous of loose free well controlled dogs, which is why their dog is typically leashed. I see this all the time, most people in a park here have no idea what the collar even is. For me it is both a recall and a locating devise as well if the dog stays on point until I see what she has found. We know how to keep our dogs safe, just as we know their is danger in their freedom. It's the freedom that pisses people off, not the collar.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
The photograph actually looks to show a dog that looks to be picking up speed to chase the deer and proves nothing
You can show your photo now.......

The photo proves that my dog chases deer, and she comes back without being called. It's beautiful. Here is another, she is stalking in this one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279...7659844998024/ Again it proves that my dogs do what I say they do, unlike the all talkers......
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
To be fair that photo does not show your dog coming back.
A bit foolish with the words.
You say tailing deer that photo could be it chasing deer getting into the zone and chasing the deer.

Furthermore my dogs always come back on their own without being called in the first place, it's what they do. Can you show us some photos of your dogs trailing deer? I bet not, I can and here is one.
See talk is cheap, but a photo is priceless, so dream on.

Yes talk is cheap and your talk is as cheap as you are accusing our longstanding knowledgeable member of.
I do not take photos of the dog coming back typically, the chase is where it's at. I was under the impression that the English understood this?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
You can show your photo now.......

The photo proves that my dog chases deer, and she comes back without being called. It's beautiful. Here is another, she is stalking in this one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279...7659844998024/ Again it proves that my dogs do what I say they do, unlike the all talkers......
This is the photo I took on my mobile phone last week. One stag is in front of him in front of the trees and a number of others had moved off to the right (hence he is looking in that direction after them). I do not allow him to chase them. A voice command or whistle is sufficient to stop him.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	zakstag.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	5040  
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
I do not take photos of the dog coming back typically, the chase is where it's at. I was under the impression that the English understood this?
Why do you allow your dog to chase wildlife? Is your dog actually a working dog?
Page 29 of 42 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 > Last »