View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Dog Insurance for life? (also posted in Health)

Hi All,

Please can anyone advise on the best insurance for my pup?

I have signed up with the Kennel Club as it had a six week free offer and I just wanted to get insurance asap but need a reputable company that will insure my puppy for life as another company stopped insuring my old boy at 8, just when we needed the cover.

I have seen that Petplan cover for life, are they a good company?
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I have just changed from Direct Line to M & S - the premium is HALF that of Petplan for basically the same cover They cover for life, and for the "life of a condition" (up to a maximum of £7000), and offer lots of cover that other policies exclude.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
My previous dog was insured through PetPlan and I was grateful for the "for life" cover when she needed expensive but unsuccessful chemotherapy in her final year.

Barney is insured through Directline. They do two levels of cover:

Essential policy:
Covers vet’s fees for a maximum of 12 months treatment for each illness, injury or disease, up to £4,000 (per condition).

Advanced policy:
Covers vet’s fees up to £6,000 (per condition) – with no time limit on reaching this amount.

Barney's on the Advanced policy - the Essential policy only covers the first 12 months of each illness, so you're on your own if treatment is required after that.

This is costing just under £12 a month (as opposed to the quote I got from PetPlan of £34 a month).

I did have a look at other companies inc. M&S. The good thing that M&S have is that the policy can be started with older dogs (most others limit at 8 or 9), but they do escalate the premiums at 4, 8 and 9.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
How long have you had the Direct Line policy, Royv? I ask because one of the reasons I changed is when the renewal came up last month after the first year, they changed the T's and C's, and put the Premiums up by £4 a month (despite never making a claim)

I have spoken to several people who experienced the same thing with Direct Line; and we've all "voted with our feet"

I'd be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else - or whether I have been penalised for some reason - maybe breed or geography?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Both Barney and the policy are new to me - August 15th 2005.

Will watch what they do next year - thanks.

Chances are that they all do that at some stage - usually lower premiums to entice you to sign up (same like they do for car insurance).

There's a useful insurance table in Dogs Today - marked Sept 2005
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2005, 09:02 PM
I am with Pet Healthcare Services, (underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance) Amy has been with them for 14 years, there is no upper limit for age and I can have £7000 worth of vet care for each illness. They pay up very quickly too