Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Are dogs good for your health?

I would say yes now the stressfull puppy moments are over life is a lot better with Millie she helps keep my mind off things and ive found myself becomming less depressed since ive been unemployed.

Plus my ankles which used to swell are not quite so bad anymore either ^^

I think id be a lot more lonely without her.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:30 AM
There's a fair bit of scientific research to indicate that they are, but, of course, that depends on the dog. For example, a dog with major behavioural problems would more than likely increase the stress levels of its owner which would be detrimental to any medical condition they may have.

Nothing is ever black and white
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Probably not great if you had a severe dog allergy

Like Brierley says, it's not black and white. If it gets you out exercising then that's going to have health benefits, I believe studies have showed that stroking an animal can help relax you, plus there's the company they provide which must help mental health, but they could have a negative effect in some cases too - being pulled over and breaking a bone, the stress caused by behavioural issues, etc.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2012, 10:36 AM
All depends on the dog in question!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:38 AM
From my POV:

Sadie - Yes always good for my health.
Benjie - No, blood pressure way up.
Louie - Bit hit and miss, sometimes he's good for my health, sometimes I think he may get me lead away in a straight jacket.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:45 AM
mine are good for my health. if i didnt have them i wouldnt do any of the walking i do, because i dont see the point of walking somewhere without a dog

also they are healthy for me because it means spending my money on them, means i have less to spend on alcohol and other bad things
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:09 PM
depends on the dog..and you of course..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Yes and no. Mine stress me out sometimes but equally, I wouldn't do anywhere near as much exercise as I do without them. I probably wouldn't do any at all.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Short answer, yes and no. Dogs can be good for distressing/calming through stroking and relaxing with them etc. However, years back I had a dog who pulled me over once (&once only) and I ended up with an inflamed knee joint, which was so painful. Also Dogs with a lot of behavioural problems can be bad for your health, as this can cause a lot of stress.