Our sister sites
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 08:55 PM

eating habits

hello everyone we seem to have a problem you're suggestions are apeciated

here is an example
we left the dogs in 1 day with a pigs foot because we were going out ,and ever since when we give them the trotter talia waits till tux has eaten his then she will eat hers .then tux will sit near her looking at her all the time she is eating . but talia seems to get stressed by this .i know it is behavoural but talia seems to be of her food a bit she has lost some weight and doesnt seem herself .can you please give me some advice
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Is Tux more dominant than Talia? I'm just asking because the higher up dog normally eats first. I would feed them seperately. I started to have a similar situation recently. Both my dogs are fed in their crates which are opposite ends of the living room and Eden started refusing to eat until Anubis was allowed to eat his food (I always make them wait until given the ok) even if I gave her permission first. We did not repeat the command but walked away and we also didn't allow Nubi to eat until she started. Nubi is too big for his boots at the moment, so this is one way we show him that he is at the bottom.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 09:32 PM
hi,
the dominant dog does not always eat first(sorry bingowings )my 'top dawg' eats last,he knows he doesnt have to bolt it down and wont be challenged for it,he savours it slowly
how old are your dogs?
what sex are your dogs?
what do you feed and how?
worming protocol?
stool quality?
interigation over lol
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi,
the dominant dog does not always eat first(sorry bingowings )my 'top dawg' eats last,he knows he doesnt have to bolt it down and wont be challenged for it,he savours it slowly
how old are your dogs?
what sex are your dogs?
what do you feed and how?
worming protocol?
stool quality?
interigation over lol
tux is 18 months old been here from a newborn pup long story i looked after mum n litter

talia was 2 in oct we had her from june this yr from dogshome

feed them togrther no probs

tux due worming

nice hard poos....very proud of this lol every owner is ?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Don't know if this is of any help but we have three dogs. Chews etc we have no problems but at feed time Reah (eldest) is fed with Bruce(youngest) and Skye (middle one) is fed alone.

We used to put Reah out when Bruce was younger, but as Bruce has got older (22months) he and Reah seem to have agreed to eat side by side, but if I allowed Skye there, both stand over her till she moves away and they would eat hers.
Skye is a slower eater (always has been) than the other two, taking her time to chew (I know unheard of with alot of dogs )

Have you tried separating them just to see how it works out
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by annmarie View Post
hello everyone we seem to have a problem you're suggestions are apeciated

here is an example
we left the dogs in 1 day with a pigs foot because we were going out ,and ever since when we give them the trotter talia waits till tux has eaten his then she will eat hers .then tux will sit near her looking at her all the time she is eating . but talia seems to get stressed by this .i know it is behavoural but talia seems to be of her food a bit she has lost some weight and doesnt seem herself .can you please give me some advice
Hi Annmarie Is Talia spayed or due in season (coming in season can change a bitches behaviour). You say ''she is not herself and has lost some weight'', has she been checked out by a vet recently

From the behaviour you describe above and taking into consideration Talia is off her food a bit /wight loss/not herself it may be that she doesn't really want the pigs foot and is eating it reluctantly to prevent the other dog from eating it (dogs often do this when they don't want the food or will bury it to eat later)

If you haven't already done so I would have Talia checked out by a vet, then if all is well seperate the dogs before feeding treats so each can enjoy and eat a treat in peace and at their own speed .
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2009, 10:03 AM
hy going to seperate them at meal times this week see how it goes talia seems to put weight on and them drop it again

took her vets when we got her as she needed abs for bad tummy upset and he says don't worry about how slender she is if she is happy so shall ring him and have a word she is about 28 kilos when she was weighed @ vets

when tux was eating she was listening and peeping as soon as he finished she ate hers but they had theire breakfast together in the yard this morning with no probs what so ever.maybe shud try giving treats outside as well xx
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2009, 10:03 AM
hy going to seperate them at meal times this week see how it goes talia seems to put weight on and them drop it again

took her vets when we got her as she needed abs for bad tummy upset and he says don't worry about how slender she is if she is happy so shall ring him and have a word she is about 28 kilos when she was weighed @ vets

when tux was eating she was listening and peeping as soon as he finished she ate hers but they had theire breakfast together in the yard this morning with no probs what so ever.maybe shud try giving treats outside as well xx
p.s taliah is speyed
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 10:21 AM

is she the inuit or husky cross? what is the husky crossed with? thats quite heavy
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
is she the inuit or husky cross? what is the husky crossed with? thats quite heavy
talia is the northern inuit

tux is the husky cross when his mum in season a rogue alsation dog jumped in yard and hey presto
(although he reminds us of a fox when he is out and about the way he holds his head and tail ) that is the husky trait ehh his mum was a lovely silver n grey with blue eyes and i used think she was a fox so i say he has alot of husky in him