register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 15 of 28 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
thats not what im trying to say, thought I cant talk for others, I think someone whos breeding for both is the way to go, though I do understand that in collies the split is pretty big so finding a breeder that can produce both working/show quality pups may be a task.
I don't think many people who seriously work sheep are going to worry one iota if the dog is KC standard or not---why should they? It is the show people who need to prove a point.

Totally agree with Tassle about Celt, show bred and a real handfull

Working springer enthusiasts wouldn't give a show type house room. Again why should they, their dogs do what they want them to and they aren't worried what they look like.

Dog showing is on a par with baby shows to many people who do work their dogs.

I can't believe people are defending the way bulldogs are nowadays.

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't think many people who seriously work sheep are going to worry one iota if the dog is KC standard or not---why should they? It is the show people who need to prove a point.

Totally agree with Tassle about Celt, show bred and a real handfull

Working springer enthusiasts wouldn't give a show type house room. Again why should they, their dogs do what they want them to and they aren't worried what they look like.

Dog showing is on a par with baby shows to many people who do work their dogs.

I can't believe people are defending the way bulldogs are nowadays.

rune
Ah, but what is the reason for health defects cropping up in the workers?

Agree with your last paragraph entirely.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
How awful. We board some super ones, they can rugby tackle you and hit you like a truck! In recent years we have has some fabulous ones, catching them in the field has been the problem, and I really mean that!

The figures are old, but put into perspective:

Bulldog 6yrs (403 dogs)
Alaskan Malamute - 10yrs. (111 dogs)
Bracco - 2yrs!! (19 dogs)
Australian Shepherd. - 9yrs. (104 dogs)
Finnish Lapphund - 7yrs (48 dogs)
Irish Wolfhound 7yrs (123 dogs)
Bernese Mountain Dog. 7yrs (618 dogs)

So from those figures, the Bernese, which "could" be considered "normal" in appearance, lives on average just 12mths more, and that was in a survey including over 200 more dogs.

For the record the average for a Greyhound is just 9yrs!!!
Bernese have been bred far too big and suffer with bad joint problems in back and front legs----so it is no surprise that they have that age. Great Danes 'look ' ok and also have a low age expectancy.

It isn't just how a dog looks---that is a mistake many show people make, it is the 'hidden' problems which are bred in in the quest for a specific look as well.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

I would imagine small gene pools, farmers etc seeing no need to look far afield for mates for their dogs and not needing the dogs to live to a great age.

Etta is also not always recognised as a springer---and we are loused out with them down here. It seems to be a size thing.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Because most breeders of working gundogs dont bother with any health tests, along with a very small breeding programme.

Yet the show breeder is the one who gets all the criticism..

You only have to look at the diversity of the "springer" small, large, queen Anne legs to point out a few.

Yet it is argued they are a better example of the breed. did you not say, that a show springer could not do a days work, well sorry Pidge, the Springer with the bowed legs and no health tests, is more likey to be the one who suffers with joint problems.

But then the owner who works the dog may not expect a long life out of his dog , and just move onto the next one...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Because most breeders of working gundogs dont bother with any health tests, along with a very small breeding programme.

You only have to look at the diversity of the "springer" small, large, queen Anne legs to point out a few.

Yet it is argued they are a better example of the breed. did you not say, that a show springer could not do a days work, well sorry Pidge, the Springer with the bowed legs and no health tests, is more likey to be the one who suffers with joint problems.

But then the owner who works the dog may not expect a long life out of his dog , and just move onto the next one...
I never said that. I don't know enough about this to ever make a statement like that. I think you have me confused with someone else.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Not sure if I would believe that working gundog breeders do not do any health tests. They certainly should and I am sure a lot of them do have health tests done before they breed. The gundogs bred for the Sandringham Estate for example
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm gunna re-post a section from another thread because it's also relevant to this (something in the air today I think).

We researched ESS' and planned Woody for a year yet we ended up with a KC registered, pedigree dog from a KC accredited breeder (first litter) who has an hereditary health defect!

I blame myself every day for this because I feel there was more I should have done to prevent it and that by buying him from them (crappy breeders who I thought were great at the time) I have contributed to something I feel quite strongly about - poor, careless, thoughtless breeding.

So, I would never blame the show breeder and I would never suggest the worker is better in terms of health and longevity.

As for the worked dog being easily disposed of, not to me. If it was up to me I would have Woody last a life time but if he goes early because he's from working stock then there is nothing I personally can do about it.

Show, worker, dual, pedigree, mongrel I don't care, the most important thing to me is that all breeders are focusing solely on the health and longevity of the breed, not the appearance of it.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm gunna re-post a section from another thread because it's also relevant to this (something in the air today I think).

We researched ESS' and planned Woody for a year yet we ended up with a KC registered, pedigree dog from a KC accredited breeder (first litter) who has an hereditary health defect!

I blame myself every day for this because I feel there was more I should have done to prevent it and that by buying him from them (crappy breeders who I thought were great at the time) I have contributed to something I feel quite strongly about - poor, careless, thoughtless breeding.

So, I would never blame the show breeder and I would never suggest the worker is better in terms of health and longevity.

As for the worked dog being easily disposed of, not to me. If it was up to me I would have Woody last a life time but if he goes early because he's from working stock then there is nothing I personally can do about it.

Show, worker, dual, pedigree, mongrel I don't care, the most important thing to me is that all breeders are focusing solely on the health and longevity of the breed, not the appearance of it.
don't beat yourself up, Meg is a farm bred working springer no papers nada, cracking working dog though, and no she won't be going anywhere when she's retired, we'll just get a pup from one of the working kennels that does health check and i know a few
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 09:29 PM

Totally agree with you Pidge, but as you know within litters some pups will do better health-wise than others. By all breeders (working and show) subscribing to doing health tests and only breeding from the best available, they can try to eliminate health problems, but I think there will always be exceptions. The litter of perfect pups has never been born (neither has there been a perfect human bred - and look at us we are a mixed lot. We don't usually do any screening when we select a partner to have children with, unless there is a known serious reason for doing so).
Page 15 of 28 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »