Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Would you like to go back over my posts and show where I lumped the whole breed as incapable to work?

You will not be able to do so.

A recap:

(Notice that there is not a mention of just agility skills in your above post, or of a full breed, but of a particular dog meant for herding not being hampered in THAT skill by his lack of ability to jump.)

Now, below, you state your answer was in connection with agility when it was not.

I went with your agility mention the first time 'round, assuming it was a point I could overlook (not this time though) and this was my next post.

Again the whole breed was not thrown under the bus, just those members that cannot/should not regularly make small jumps due to risk of injury.

My argument was against this first ridiculous suggestion which was already a deliberate distort of Ben M's concern that a dog that cannot make small jumps (you changed that to jumping through hoops for whatever reason) can perform unimpeded as a herder. . .

. . . and it remains so.

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/1stHerdCH.html

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=550775#animal

Ruby
OK , lets get real shall we, maybe its the cultural difference that separates a sense of humor, I dont know..

But my changing "small Jumps" to "jumping through hoops" is a form of "dry witt" "sarcasm" nothing else, no other hidden meaning, to my original post (and consecutive ones) regarding the Corgi, was in response to Ben M's , related what someone had said to her, about their Corgi... not Bens concerns nor was it distorted..

The observation was that someone said their dog was to long in the back to do "small jumps " on an agility course...

Which I replied with , (to condense it down) get a dog that is more suited to do agility, if the construction of the Corgi is not suited to do agility, you cant blame the breed standard and its breed traits for that.

The Corgi was bred to heard (heeler as someone pointed out , and I am sure if they want to they can jump the odd jump, log or small obstacle if they want.

Lumping the whole breed together was constructive to the argument.. that BM used that a dog that can not jump a small jump is useless as a working dog...(dogs/breed)

Not sure why you need to insert links to the Corgi, lost me a bit on that.

You may find my post (s) ridiculous, but hey ho, I find your subsequent ramblings as much so!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2010, 09:51 AM
[
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
jb, my friendly local stalker, always there to jump on anything i post
how fun for you

small agility jumps are very low, lower than a fallen log

Grow up.......how long have you and I been on this forum.. and becuase I disagree on this and the other thread with some of your comments and views..I have become a stalker.......please!!!!!!!!!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 09:52 AM
yup and if you have had time to read the whole thread you will see a couple of times how i have posted i am not against the individual who shows just against some of the bigger picture
I did read the whole thread I think the point I was trying to make was.

to the untrained eye in many breeds {not all breeds} people may think fashions are whats being bred for.... but for those with a little know of how it works, the reality is, it takes more often than not several generations of breeding to change a feature of the dog, by that time the fashion has long gone in rottie you may find the darker eye being placed, or should I say being talked about more in critiques, then a few months later it may be angulation, what it really comes down to is which dogs are winning at the time, not all dogs win all the time so it gives an impression to the novice or unexperianced of a constantly changing breed, when in fact its just diff dogs winning.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Gawd
You see, I don't think this should be allowed to happen! Dogs are not like horses, some can't emotionally be tossed from pillar to post, I mean, they get so attached, it's like giving your daughter up to another family isn't it, worse! Because you can't explain to a dog...?! I bet it goes on in the showing world a lot.

People are so stupid sometimes, they don't deserve to have a dog love them
No dogs are not like horses but this doesn't mean horses should be treated as a marketable property to be switched from home to home at the whim of the owner either. Horses also get emotionally attached ~ not necessarily to owners but to pair bonds, herd mates etc. Can you imagine the stresses & emotional problems that horses are forced to experience when they are moved from owner to owner without any thought at all for their well-being & welfare just because someone's poor little darling has outgrown her first pony & now wants to win a few rosettes
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Do people get dogs just to do agility with? Like go out and buy a 'competition dog'? i really didn't know that happened, with horses yes, but dogs are pets! I though people did the agility as part of training, to bond or have fun with their dog and just fall into the hobby. Blimey.
Afraid so - I have only heard about it on forums so far. I do know of people who have got dogs with the plan of doing agility and then found their dogs are not able to do agility so have found other things to do with them
I was given Mia as an agility prospect - it is likely that she will never see the inside of an agility ring - but I dont care
My post was people questioning why people would try and do agility with a Corgie - but yup you are correct most people just get into agility as something great to do to bond with their dogs

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
You will find that wherever people become too competitive in their chosen interest, this kind of thing happens. The individual dogs become secondary to the winning.

Agility is no different. There are some people who take it very seriously. This includes cross-breeding (often collie x jrt) to get a fast dog that will fall into the lower size group and getting rid of dogs that don't make the grade.

Yup, and the border jack breeding is just stupid as there is no guarantee of what the cross is gonna give you
I know in American forums people are saying that any of the kennels breeding just for agility are finding that after a few generations the dogs are not too great at agility, you cant really breed for agility ability
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Benmc wrote

<<jb, my friendly local stalker, always there to jump on anything i post
how fun for you>>

LOL---I think I might have one of those, so don't get cocky and think you are the only special one!

Take it as a complement, I do.

rune
yup I know you have
Awww I must be important now

Gawd
You see, I don't think this should be allowed to happen! Dogs are not like horses, some can't emotionally be tossed from pillar to post, I mean, they get so attached, it's like giving your daughter up to another family isn't it, worse! Because you can't explain to a dog...?! I bet it goes on in the showing world a lot.

People are so stupid sometimes, they don't deserve to have a dog love them
Yup, the more I think about horses I wonder if its a good thing we do to them either.
I do not know of anyone who has passed on agility dogs but I am sure it happens here, it wouldnt be condoned by anyone I know. Most of the agility nuts I know have loads of dogs, some good at agility, some not - they dont pass on a dog if it dosent like agility

I also really hate some people who do agility with the breed they love, then get wound up because they are not winning so they just buy collies even tho they are not into the breed. A collie dosent guarantee an agility win, good trainers and handlers can win with all sorts of dogs and in the UK rescues are doing really well at agility

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
How totally weird, thats exactly what most people do with the dogs they show!
Yup, some do, but we have had threads on here with many showing people seeing nothing wrong with people passing on a dog or just getting dogs not to be pets but just for showing potential
I dont know of a single agility person who condones the practise
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I did read the whole thread I think the point I was trying to make was.

to the untrained eye in many breeds {not all breeds} people may think fashions are whats being bred for.... but for those with a little know of how it works, the reality is, it takes more often than not several generations of breeding to change a feature of the dog, by that time the fashion has long gone in rottie you may find the darker eye being placed, or should I say being talked about more in critiques, then a few months later it may be angulation, what it really comes down to is which dogs are winning at the time, not all dogs win all the time so it gives an impression to the novice or unexperianced of a constantly changing breed, when in fact its just diff dogs winning.
I know and agree with what you are saying there with regards to those type of fashions
But I am going by the changes in the longer term
Like looking thu the fotos of show GSD's over the past 50 years
Or bulldogs noses and - well just the whole dog
As people get used to these changes then they become the norm and people dont even see a problem with the breed any more

Its like the tail docking debate - people are used to seeing certain breeds with bits lopped off and find it wrong to see the dog looking any other way

Often people in the breed comment on how the bulldog used to look and say that is wrong and they wouldnt be happy to breed a dog that looked like that - but these were supposedly the dogs who were actually doing the 'job' they were bred for in the first place, the excess wrinkles, shorter noses, and overly bulky body have come in later based on what the breeder 'thinks' would have been better for the breed
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:16 AM
As a quick aside ~ Corgis are bred to be herding/heeler dogs ~ how many are actually used in today's world to do the proper work for which they are bred? I can't recall the last time I saw a working cattle breeder using a corgi to herd the cows to market!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I know and agree with what you are saying there with regards to those type of fashions
But I am going by the changes in the longer term
Like looking thu the fotos of show GSD's over the past 50 years
Or bulldogs noses and - well just the whole dog
As people get used to these changes then they become the norm and people dont even see a problem with the breed any more

Its like the tail docking debate - people are used to seeing certain breeds with bits lopped off and find it wrong to see the dog looking any other way

Often people in the breed comment on how the bulldog used to look and say that is wrong and they wouldnt be happy to breed a dog that looked like that - but these were supposedly the dogs who were actually doing the 'job' they were bred for in the first place, the excess wrinkles, shorter noses, and overly bulky body have come in later based on what the breeder 'thinks' would have been better for the breed
but to be fair, what your saying will only apply to a small % of breeds, the vast majority are not bundled with them.
Yes I do think the gsd, bulldog and some other breeds have issues, but they do not represent pedigree dogs as a whole.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
but to be fair, what your saying will only apply to a small % of breeds, the vast majority are not bundled with them.
Yes I do think the gsd, bulldog and some other breeds have issues, but they do not represent pedigree dogs as a whole.
Yup, I agree and I have said as much. I am not against individuals showing, I am against it when it is at the detriment of an individul dog or a whole breed
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
No dogs are not like horses but this doesn't mean horses should be treated as a marketable property to be switched from home to home at the whim of the owner either. Horses also get emotionally attached ~ not necessarily to owners but to pair bonds, herd mates etc. Can you imagine the stresses & emotional problems that horses are forced to experience when they are moved from owner to owner without any thought at all for their well-being & welfare just because someone's poor little darling has outgrown her first pony & now wants to win a few rosettes
But unfortunately, when a kid buys a tiny pony then grows out of it and moves up to the next size, most people can't afford to keep each one, and what if they are too big to then even exercise it? People would end up with about 7 unrideable, unfit, stressed and bored ponies who are used to working! 7 horses at livery - hundreds of pounds each month We had to, and it was very sad..

In my experience, horses are far more independant than dogs, and although strong bonds are built up, dogs gets far closer than horses?
Page 14 of 36 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »