View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cyrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2006, 11:43 AM

Problems with new puppy (older male dog pushing him about & growling)

Well not just our new pup

Our new pup came home yesterday a 71/2 week old male and was introduced to our 21 month old male outside older dog sniffed him all over tail wagging pup was fine not a squeak
Brought them into the house older dog first and put pup down on the floor in sitting room with older dog, older dog immediately turned him over and growled at him we expected this as knew older dog would want to show the pup who was boss
But still everytime the pup ventures out his crate out male is all over him turning him over and sniffing his bits growling and mouthing at him, sometimes pup runs into a corner and older dog traps him there not bitting him but of course mouthing and growling trying to dominate him but now pup is starting to fight back growling and barking at him and trying to bat him away with his paws

Is this normal, should we let it carry on? If not what can we do?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2006, 01:40 PM
I have 2 Dobermanns 12 months and 11 weeks, and apart from the growling this sounds pretty normal to me. I say apart from the growling as Sydney the older dog only growls at pigeons nothing else.
obviously you know your older dog better than anyone else and you will be the best judge, we let them get on with it and sort it out amongst themselves while keeping an eye on them to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. if things get too boisterous for my liking i call time out and divert their attention elsewhere. Must admit though our pup starts the rough stuff most of the time. where Syd mouths at her, she bites him quite hard, but she's learning just how much he will put up with.
For the first week Syd constantly sniffed and poked at her rear end and licked her and followed her everywhere. but that has settled down and they are really good together.
just keep an eye on them and try not to be over protective of the pup.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Sounds like your older boy is being a bully to me, I have malamutes. when an older one does this the odd time it is accepted as he is just letting the pup know his place, but to continue doing it indicates to me that the older dog is not sure if he really is boss and has to keep confirming this to himself. personally I would start telling the older dog to be gentle and leave the pup. your pup is going to grow up and constant bullying like this may have him turn against your older dog, the fact that you have two males will possibly come into play at a later date anyway, at this moment in time DO NOT LEAVE the pup and the older dog on their own, always crate pup if you are leaving the room, til your older dog realises this pup is staying, and YOU are the boss, whatever you do, as I know these breeds are addictive, dont add anymore to your pack til your new pup is at least 18 months old, so that you know exactly how they really do get on once the hormones have finished raging through him.and he has settled down into adulthood

Mo
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Charlie did this when I brought the girls home as babies, lasted only a few day and now they get on great together, just keep an eye he isn't too rough xx
Cyrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys for the advice so far we keep giving them time out pup goes in his crate to sleep and the older one leaves him alone and follows us, plays etc
Thankfully oldest does understand the word leave and does so if we ask

Its just we have had differing opinions on what we should do, one friend of ours who has other huskies says to let them get on with it or the oldest will get worse if we give little one special treatment and another says we should seperate them completely
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 03:11 PM
I definately wouldnt give the new pup special treatment, in fact I would make an effort to give your older boy more attention than the pup, always hug the older dog first, say hello to the older one, give treats to the olderone first etc, I know people advocate letting them get on with it, but we must not forget that the pup is young and if not getting a break from the older ones over the top attention,and sibes can be persistant, it will make the younger one grumpy if he cant get away from it, time out time is good for both of the dogs, it tells them just how much you will allow, and when it is time to stop.

Mo
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by mo
I definately wouldnt give the new pup special treatment, in fact I would make an effort to give your older boy more attention than the pup, always hug the older dog first, say hello to the older one, give treats to the olderone first etc, I know people advocate letting them get on with it, but we must not forget that the pup is young and if not getting a break from the older ones over the top attention,and sibes can be persistant, it will make the younger one grumpy if he cant get away from it, time out time is good for both of the dogs, it tells them just how much you will allow, and when it is time to stop.

Mo
would agree with all of this. time out has worked really well for us. The pup will need lots of sleep anyway, use this time with the older dog for 1 to 1 time. if the pup falls asleep i always put them in the crate out of harms way and spend quality time with the older dog.
Cyrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks mo what you say makes sense will try your ideas and let you know how we get on :smt023
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 03:37 PM
To add to the above males sometimes find a pup confusing, bitches will sort the pup out and make it behave but dogs will even run away because they seem not to understand how they should behave. Also your older dog is not a lot more than a pup himself and they will both need you to let them know what is and is not acceptable.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
To add to the above males sometimes find a pup confusing, bitches will sort the pup out and make it behave but dogs will even run away because they seem not to understand how they should behave. Also your older dog is not a lot more than a pup himself and they will both need you to let them know what is and is not acceptable.

Lol I agree with that Jackie, when our younger two Bailey our eldest would run a mile from the two puppies lol you would think a devil was chasing him lol.

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >